LA folks out there recommend a nursery? Exotic or Eden?

Chris Frechette

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’m going to be in Burbank this week for work and will have several hours of down time... I figure why not visit a nursery. I’ll be right between Exotic Bonsai and Eden Bonsai. Can anyone recommend either? Or is there another that is worth going out of my way?

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I always enjoy a trip to Kimora Nursery. Northridge area. Excellent trees, pots and seriously helpful people. Perhaps a ways from Burbank if your time is limited. Always a quick productive trip for me.

Chris Frechette

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I checked out the Kimura nursery site... their pre bonsai stuff didn’t look very impressive and was really expensive! Not sure if those are just internet prices or cause it’s LA... prolly both. The closer ones sound more like backyard nurseries w/o websites so it’s hard to tell the quality of their stuff. Ha... I got one shot... hoping for a dope shohin something.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I checked out the Kimura nursery site... their pre bonsai stuff didn’t look very impressive and was really expensive! Not sure if those are just internet prices or cause it’s LA... prolly both. The closer ones sound more like backyard nurseries w/o websites so it’s hard to tell the quality of their stuff. Ha... I got one shot... hoping for a dope shohin something.
Kimura Nursery has a great selection, prices are fair. The site is not updated and does not show his inventory. Go there in person.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I checked out those other 2 nurseries you mentioned and they just look like gift shop bonsai type material. Never heard of them before either until this thread.

Also San Gabriel Nursery may be worth checking out. Selection not as good in the past but they bring out nice stuff time from time.

Chris Frechette

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for everyone help. I ended up going to Fuji Bonsai and met Master Nagatoshi. Turns out he’s doing a demo in Austin later this year and knows some of the big players down here. Small world. I love this community.

I’ve never seen a shimpaku up close... my god they are so beautiful... like clouds on branches. There seemed like endless dope trees... most of which were probably worth what I make in a month. But he had a pretty amazing selection of pre bonsai too. I ended up w/ a pretty slick catlin elm. Going to have fun getting it in the overhead bin!

EE0692C0-C890-43C9-BA0B-720B3005D222.jpeg

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
That's Lindsey Shiba's nursery I believe. Good place to check out. I've taken a tree on carry on once. Just held it on my lap. Make sure it is within carry on size for the airline you are using.

Chris Frechette

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It went well. Lots of interesting looks from folks. A lot of karate kid references which is pretty hilarious. It was just tall enough to catch the top of the X-ray machine so I requested a hand check. When I got on the plane the flight attendant said she had a perfect spot for it in the back... they have a cabinet in the back w an emergency bag (aed maybe?) and it was perfect. So I was damn near last off the plane, but the elm had a safe flight.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I ended up w/ a pretty slick catlin elm.

You may already know this, but catlin elms are not very common back east. It is a dwarf cultivar created in California specifically for use as bonsai. When they get larger they have a three color ex-foliating bark.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
NICE. Don't worry, when I brought my tree back from Chicago I was pulled out of the line by TSA. They talked to me, did an inspection and I was golden lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom