LA Garden JBP

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Expanding the JBP empire, so starting a few progression threads for some recently acquired trees. This tree was purchased by the previous owner a few years back from our own @bonsaibp. I chatted with Bob earlier tonight to learn the trees history (thanks Bob!).

Here’s the tree at purchase - I’m guessing this is probably 2014:
380A81F1-372E-4BFC-ADB3-2ABCE6B4E893.jpeg

Bob tells me that this was a landscape tree for 15-20 years before it was collected. He thought it was Bruce Hisiyasu that dug it. Bob purchased it at a club sale in about 2007 and sold it to the previous owner a few years later. Again - thanks for that background, Bob. I always appreciate knowing a bit about the pedigree of the trees I own.

S

Last edited:

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Previous owner set branches in 2015.

View attachment 205482

I don’t think I would have used the jack exactly like this. But it was effective, so what can I say?

S
Solid trunk, lots of potential for grafts as you note.
Texas has funny looking Jacks! Must be the Shiners.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It is nice to see how the bark looks better after 3 years.
Cool,man:D

That was the first thing I thought when I saw the photo’s side by side. When I buy a tree I always ask the previous owner for photographs. I was lucky he had them.

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Solid trunk, lots of potential for grafts as you note.
Texas has funny looking Jacks! Must be the Shiners.

One of the most important areas are on the apex - I’ll have to rebuild that with grafts. Grafts near the apex seem to take pretty well, so I’m lucky there.

And THATS not a Texas jack. Probably imported from Canada or something ...

S

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
One of the most important areas are on the apex - I’ll have to rebuild that with grafts. Grafts near the apex seem to take pretty well, so I’m lucky there.

And THATS not a Texas jack. Probably imported from Canada or something ...

S
If it came from canada it would be called a branch bender.
I like your habit of asking for prior pictures. Key aspects of development can easily be tracked and information on timing more readily understood.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No way!!! We’re adults.

Anyway, my black pines are slower and more cautious than Adair’s black pines.

S
Perhaps an application of fertilizer would help?

Of course, it goes without saying that the pines see their owner messing with ficus, and they’re ashamed, as any self respecting pine would be! That would stunt any pine’s growth!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Repotting time!

Before.
2A38772C-8FBE-4508-A44E-576FD1CC360F.jpeg

Pulled it out of the pot - some new root growth, but a lot of the akadama had broken down. Hadn’t seen that before. Perhaps it was one of the soft akadama brands? At any rate - time to repot. A lot of problems to fix - another project pine.
633B6EBC-EB6B-4F5F-84D0-1F6D35836433.jpeg7CE2B0E8-0189-485C-BDCD-745ACE8CC1D6.jpeg

Scott

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sweet thread! I also love the innuendo and how you take into each other in a playful friendly way. It makes reading these posts very entertaining, but then I come of military family and Marines who are always giving each other shit. Keep it up! (If you can) ;]

Top Bottom