LA Garden JBP

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Sweet thread! I also love the innuendo and how you take into each other in a playful friendly way. It makes reading these posts very entertaining, but then I come of military family and Marines who are always giving each other shit. Keep it up! (If you can) ;]

Thanks HP. Adair is a Georgia boy and has no taste in beer and believes you put PORK in bbq. But we like him anyway.

S

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hahah, I'm from Georgia myself but I love both pork and beef BBQ's and lots of hot and spicy Latino and New Mexican foods so you'd probably think I'm really mixed up. You can keep your vinegar sauces though, no thanks.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great progress as always, nice work. I got all excited cause I thought that was a field lacrosse net in the background!

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
AWESOME!!! Some of my greatest memories are of the crazy lacrosse tournaments of my youth. It really is one of the most amazing sports, and under appreciated. Glad to hear your son is playing.

WesB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love it!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Perhaps an application of fertilizer would help?

Of course, it goes without saying that the pines see their owner messing with ficus, and they’re ashamed, as any self respecting pine would be! That would stunt any pine’s growth!

His tree looks good, open natural/like REAL tree;).

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
His tree looks good, open natural/like REAL tree;).
Lol!!!

We can’t have that! So, that’s why it gets grafts! To thicken it up into a green helmet!

Scott’s tree is twice as tall as mine.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Just cleaned up the top soil this season.
1EFE63D0-C56C-4DDC-8180-9E9A9EF1BF63.jpeg

Interesting response to decandling. It set buds, but did not push spring shoots. Buds look healthy, but I’ll probably skip decandling this season.
DC406E87-8EC6-4457-A2C7-C52A14DA70BB.jpegEFA4302C-BC7A-4A1E-98AF-94ADAFF9F753.jpeg

Scott

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That is South Carolina, isn't it?
Makes the best pulled pork sandwiches (with a little slaw on top).
Texas is brown-sugar city and/or tomato-ville. One needs a Shiner to cut through it.
SC is famous for the mustard based sauce, but there are also regions of vinegar-based and regions of tomato-based sauce. https://discoversouthcarolina.com/barbecue (Don't knock the mustard until you've tried it on pulled pork.)

And, back to the tree, I'd love to know your grafting plans.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
'
Also show better structure:eek:.
Go away, Pots. You’re out of your league here.

Scott and I are good friends, and you’re taking stuff literally when we’re joking around.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
...And, back to the tree, I'd love to know your grafting plans.

As with many old pines for which maintenance has been irregular, the branches have grown long and leggy without interior branches or buds. They need to be cut back and the branches and apex rebuilt, but there’s nothing on the inside to cut back to. The apex is poor and has no back branches to give the tree depth. And at this point the branches are quite old and the opportunity for backbudding is long past. So the tree has become a restoration project - the only way to build the branch structure is by grafting the interior branches I need, cutting back when they’re established and then rebuilding the branches from the graft union. Step one is to restore health - grafting success rate is high on a healthy tree and pretty much zero on an unhealthy one. Given the fact that the buds appear to be fat and happy, with another year in good soil and by skipping decandling, I think the tree will be healthier and there will be lots of scion choices at this time next year.

S

Top Bottom