labeling bonsai

Reaction score
I've never bothered labeling trees. Since i'm planning to start some pines from seed it would be handy to label the container or the plant at some point in the development. What works best?
upload_2017-12-1_14-53-31.png

I would go for the middle one i guess?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just realized yesterday I can use the tags off iron Joists ...

Mad free !

Sorce

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I actually just ordered a set of the ones on the right (for the same purposes as you). I went with the colors because I want to use colors as part of my labelling system -- I was just planning on buying colored dots, or maybe just dabbing with paint/marker, but the colored labels let me skip a step.

When I'm down to something closer to a couple dozen pines, I might upgrade to copper tags since I have the tools/material to make them at home easily enough.

Reaction score
The copper tags are pretty, i will check them out. Had some labels fading away a few years ago, must find a better marker.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I uses to use the plastic tags in the pot but having to rewrite the number every 6 months got tiresome.

I use round aluminum tree tags that have number engraved on them. I just keep a log on each tree that records it's number and I can track work done to the tree.

Of course any system needs to be kept updated which I gave been procrastinating on the last year or so

Reaction score
I'll look around to what is cheap and durable and doesn't have to fly in from the other side of the world.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Standard plastic plant markers. I use the P-Touch labeler which holds up outside for a LONG time - the two larger labels are over two years old and been outside until today. I don't want numbers and a file, just black and white that is not scribbled. Highly UV resistant.

IMG_1671.JPG

They also make colors with the same durability -

IMG_1527.JPG

Grimmy

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use these.
img345987_2__dcb5dceed136f727229260f82e653a568fbaa3e5_z2.jpg

...very hard plastic and I use an ordinary graphite pencil for writing. Very durable, hard to erase.

Reaction score
Three other nice options. Having a label maker it might be good to try it for outside use. The soda can might work too. Thanks everybody for the creative and other options i didn't found by myself.

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
found these on ebay. seem to be cheaper than the aluminum tags
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-100...hash=item41b999658a:m:moaz083l2Moc2QgFQc25ugw

but i think I like these and they are a little cheaper.(looks like they could clip to a pot or push into top soil)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-Rou...011836?hash=item2a8cde663c:g:iS0AAOSw3s1aD9c-

these are soft pvc that might clip on the edge of the pots and would be good to keep batches of seeds together.(they are real cheap)
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...w=Yellow+Round+Cable+Tags+Management&_sacat=0

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Standard plastic plant markers. I use the P-Touch labeler which holds up outside for a LONG time - the two larger labels are over two years old and been outside until today. I don't want numbers and a file, just black and white that is not scribbled. Highly UV resistant.

View attachment 169039

They also make colors with the same durability -

View attachment 169040

Grimmy
I use a sharpie on those white markers and half the label is always down in the dirt.
That is SLICK.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I use a sharpie on those white markers and half the label is always down in the dirt.
That is SLICK.

That labeler is a few years old, cost 19.00USD on sale, and still using the original batteries. From what I see I get the cartridges inexpensive and they last good. All of the P-Touch cartridges are UV resistant from what I see.

Also nice to mark containers of various baking containers like the several types of flour Crystal has and my spices. It has a lot of font options and size too - if I wasn't lazy I could put on the full plant names easily.

I also find my hand printing skills no where near as clear :oops:

Grimmy

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My primary hobby is iris, we print labels with a Brother label printer and it works very well. Very durable and easy to read, but not cheap for a lot of plants.
For cheap labeling we use graphite pencil on cut up venetian blinds. Durable and cheap. They can be slid down inside the edge of a pot for discreet and secure labeling.
Labels tied or wired to a branch have a tendency to get knocked off or tangled up or broken.
Do NOT use Sharpie or other brands permanent markers. They will all fade and be unreadable in 3 months. Paint pens are OK but less durable than pencil.
Our experience with the soft copper and aluminum tags is that they are hard to write on legibly and get difficult to decipher in a couple of seasons.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
For permanent writing outdoors, I did some research that suggested grease pencils are a good solution. They will write on any surface (including glass) and are water resistant and UV resistant. They will also write on surfaces that are wet, and will almost never scratch what they are used on. They can also be removed from most surfaces.

Grease_pencil.jpg

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I found the typical plastic marker strips didn't hold up well and cracked or snapped in half. I use these key tags. They are cheap, hold up well and stay with the tree so you don't need to replace when repotting. I use a loop of "recycled" wire scrap to place them on a branch.20171202_094725.jpg

Top Bottom