Labor Day Weekend 2022 Sales

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
These are what I've seen so far.
  • Brussel's Bonsai (link): 20% off your entire shopping cart (excludes lessons) and orders $49 and up ship free.
  • Superfly Bonsai (link): 20% off everything when you enter code SUPERSALE2022 at checkout.
  • Eastern Leaf Bonsai (link): 10% off entire store when you enter code BL3T7 at checkout. (code expires at midnight September 6th)
  • The Tree Center (link): 25% off everything when you enter code LABORDAY25 at checkout. Orders $200 and up ship free.
Please feel free to post your own finds below!

Last edited:

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This won’t help any one not living locally, but Frank Corrigan at Rivers Edge is having a moving sale at his nursery tomorrow and Sunday, which I will be attending, here on Vancouver Island, BC. You can probably PM him for more details, but I know he is downsizing and has a lot of pre bonsai material discounted. A fantastic opportunity!

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
One addition: If you use coupon code BBN10 at Brussel's Bonsai, you'll get an additional 10% off whatever cost is left after they automatically deduct the 20%. So if you start with $500, they'll reduce it to $400, then this code gets you another $40 off, making that $500 purchase now $360.

Speaking of Brussel's, I've come to the conclusion that the non-sale price for the overwhelming majority of their "specimen trees" is ridiculously high. However, with 20% off for Labor Day, plus another 10% off with the code, and then free shipping, I'm wondering if any of their nicer looking trees might actually be worth purchasing this weekend. There's a Japanese maple forest, a couple Satsuki Azaleas, and some Japanese Black Pines that catch my eye.

From what I understand, there's a number of people who dislike Brussel's because they're basically the Walmart of the bonsai world, mass-producing "sticks in pots" that all look the same, and selling them to the next idiot in line. However, I can't deny that they do have some very pretty (and very expensive) specimen trees.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
One addition: If you use coupon code BBN10 at Brussel's Bonsai, you'll get an additional 10% off whatever cost is left after they automatically deduct the 20%. So if you start with $500, they'll reduce it to $400, then this code gets you another $40 off, making that $500 purchase now $360.

Speaking of Brussel's, I've come to the conclusion that the non-sale price for the overwhelming majority of their "specimen trees" is ridiculously high. However, with 20% off for Labor Day, plus another 10% off with the code, and then free shipping, I'm wondering if any of their nicer looking trees might actually be worth purchasing this weekend. There's a Japanese maple forest, a couple Satsuki Azaleas, and some Japanese Black Pines that catch my eye.

From what I understand, there's a number of people who dislike Brussel's because they're basically the Walmart of the bonsai world, mass-producing "sticks in pots" that all look the same, and selling them to the next idiot in line. However, I can't deny that they do have some very pretty (and very expensive) specimen trees.

I've bought from them and I disagree with the assessment that they mass produce trees that all look the same.

I agree that a lot of what they sell are very nice trees. As with everything, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I am avoiding the sales because I really don't want another tree right now

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've bought from them and I disagree with the assessment that they mass produce trees that all look the same.
OK, then if that's the case, maybe I've just read the musings of a few poorly opinionated people or some who think that such a large company stains the reputation of bonsai. Who knows? Last year, Bjorn made a video (link) during his visit to Brussel's, and frankly, I was impressed by their operation. Would be a very cool place to visit one day.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

Dang I missed that extra 10% at Brussels, that woulda been another $32 off (yup, they got me with the corkers)

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Dang I missed that extra 10% at Brussels, that woulda been another $32 off (yup, they got me with the corkers)
I only stumbled upon that code because it said on their site I could get 10% off by joining their mailing list. Turns out that the code they sent me wasn't unique to my email address like many retailers do, it was just a general code that anyone can use. Plus, it was an added bonus that it stacks with the 20% off they have going on right now.

I assume you got one of those Nishiki cork bark Japanese Black Pines? I was eying those myself, but I'm really trying to decide if I want to splurge on this 'Atropurpureum' Japanese maple forest (link), or really, REALLY splurge on this 'Chiyonishiki' Satsuki azalea (link). I would NEVER pay the regular price they want for these trees, but again, with 30% off and free shipping (which would be expensive for either of these), I have to admit that they do have me thinking seriously about them. There's a guy selling a couple imported Satsukis on the FB Bonsai Auction group right now, one of which he's asking $2,900 for, and he wants $2,000 for the other. Frankly, I don't think either can touch this one I'm considering at Brussel's, which would cost $1,365 after all the discounts.

Last edited:

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I only stumbled upon that code because it said on their site I could get 10% off by joining their mailing list. Turns out that the code they sent me wasn't unique to my email address like many retailers do, it was just a general code that anyone can use. Plus, it was an added bonus that it stacks with the 20% off they have going on right now.

I assume you got one of those Nishiki cork bark Japanese Black Pines? I was eying those myself, but I'm really trying to decide if I want to splurge on this 'Atropurpureum' Japanese maple forest (link), or really, REALLY splurge on this 'Chiyonishiki' Satsuki azalea (link). I would NEVER pay the regular price they want for these trees, but again, with 30% off and free shipping (which would be expensive for either of these), I have to admit that they do have me thinking seriously about them. There's a guy selling a couple imported Satsukis on the FB Bonsai Auction group right now, one of which he's asking $2,900 for, and he wants $2,000 for the other. Frankly, I don't think either can touch this one I'm considering at Brussel's, which would cost $1,365 after all the discounts.
Yeah, I know it's a challenge to grow corkers per some posts ive seen by @Brian Van Fleet , but it is also a good deal so worth a shot. I got one with the lower branching given lack of back buds on corked up bark.
The maple you could probably make yourself for a couple hundred and a couple years.
The Satsuki is gorgeous. I like the unique texture vs the traditional smooth bark. If I were going to drop that sorta cash, I'd ask for some additional pics. Even $300 is pretty expensive to buy on a single picture.

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yeah, I know it's a challenge to grow corkers per some posts ive seen by @Brian Van Fleet , but it is also a good deal so worth a shot. I got one with the lower branching given lack of back buds on corked up bark.
The maple you could probably make yourself for a couple hundred and a couple years.
The Satsuki is gorgeous. I like the unique texture vs the traditional smooth bark. If I were going to drop that sorta cash, I'd ask for some additional pics. Even $300 is pretty expensive to buy on a single picture.
I got some additional advice on that Satsuki, so I'm going to pass on it. Good point you make on the JM forest.

Top Bottom