Lacebark Pine - Pinus bungeana

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
Moved to a larger bonsai container and gave it free draining mix. Added some extra Akadama as I’ll be fertilizing the tree heavily the next few years. This is also the best planting angle and front view after a few angle changes over the years. Wounds are all healing up, and will have all healed in the coming year.

Here’s a photo of the trunk and branches as well to show some of the exfoliation. :)

Attachments

• 4B5DF457-7F73-47E9-AE80-21540D78D834.jpeg
    4B5DF457-7F73-47E9-AE80-21540D78D834.jpeg
    331.9 KB · Views: 170
  • CDF06564-10BA-4375-9642-8F5D2B5FCB62.jpeg
    CDF06564-10BA-4375-9642-8F5D2B5FCB62.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 177

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I know nothing at all about the care and feeding of this tree but I do know cultivating Pines over time and I can tell you that your need is to start finding out how to ramify this tree. As of now you have primary and some secondary growth but you will not have a showable bonsai until you develop tertiary growth and beyond. An exception would be if you are trying to get the trunk to thicken in which case, you need to find out if this Pine will back bud reliably on old wood or are you going to have to develop a work around to keep from having growth only on the ends of your branches?

Last edited:

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
I have another project I’ve been working on with a stone container that just started as well, so I’ll keep up with that one here too. Bought a tray of 15 year old seedlings of lacebark pine from Meehan’s Miniatures that never got potted up about 3 years ago. All were wired for a compact grove planting, but when I was given this carved slate pot I couldn’t pass up stretching out the design.

This design is just getting started, and looks fairly crappy; the farthest left tree will be completely reshaped or relocated. For now, it’s a start.

Container was made by a Nashville local named Nathan Nelson, and he can make any size you want. PM me for his contact info. Really big ones will not be cheap, as he uses diamond dust bits to hollow the stones and carve the feet.

Attachments

• 96349E15-C9A5-444F-9F65-D5DBC476D755.jpeg
    96349E15-C9A5-444F-9F65-D5DBC476D755.jpeg
    290.7 KB · Views: 155
  • 1CE9B603-9811-42AE-97FF-BB095B9A94B7.jpeg
    1CE9B603-9811-42AE-97FF-BB095B9A94B7.jpeg
    296 KB · Views: 121
  • CE69980C-B9DE-49B2-8ACC-327C1D9202E6.jpeg
    CE69980C-B9DE-49B2-8ACC-327C1D9202E6.jpeg
    312.5 KB · Views: 136

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
I know nothing at all about the care and feeding of this tree but I do know cultivating Pines over time and I can tell you that your need is to start finding out how to ramify this tree. As of now you have primary and some secondary growth but you will not have a showable bonsai until you develop tertiary growth and beyond. An exception would be if you are trying to get the trunk to thicken in which case, you need to find out if this Pine will back bud reliably on old wood or are you going to have to develop a work around to keep from having growth only on the ends of you branches?

Vance, I have decandled this species successfully in the past. Real scientific testing and timing work will be done in the coming years. I have about 1000 seedlings growing and I’ll have liners in the ground next year. It formed adventitious buds on the trunk, and initiated some new buds at base of existing branches.

Lots of work to do and I don’t disagree with you.

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
@Vance, you live in a region where these are used for wind breaks, so if you ever come across a source for them, please let me know. I’m looking for 3-5 year old liners to row out in open ground.

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
If you look back at the January 2017 post in the thread, you’ll see this pic. I decandled in 2016 in June. Three shoots emerged, and an adventitious bud popped (circled).

Attachments

• 5AC18901-5E5D-4F71-AF8E-78362C578B13.jpeg
    5AC18901-5E5D-4F71-AF8E-78362C578B13.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 196

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Vance, I have decandled this species successfully in the past. Real scientific testing and timing work will be done in the coming years.
It responds to candle pruning pretty much like JBP, in my climate. I haven't done enough to determine 'the week-or-two sooner/later than' optimization. On the same schedule I got needles about 60% the length and shorter internode lengths.

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
It responds to candle pruning pretty much like JBP, in my climate. I haven't done enough to determine 'the week-or-two sooner/later than' optimization. On the same schedule I got needles about 60% the length and shorter internode lengths.
Please share some photos of yours on this thread. Anything else you’ve obsevered?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Good news. However I am not aware of their use as wind breaks up here. I don't believe I have ever run into them in this state unless they are known by another name up here, I'll have to look.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have always loves this species too....
First one I ever saw was at the DC Arboretum ......but they removes it last year for some reason.

Nice work Owen, you make me want to head over to Meehan's this spring and see if they have any more.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Please share some photos of yours on this thread. Anything else you’ve obsevered?
Branches/stems are akin to p. strobus, if that means anything to you (my understanding is that real bonsai artists don't do strobus :D).

Mine is pretty, pretty, ugly. My story is that it was a small landscape specimen before our neighborhood raccoons radically restyled it. Then it became part of my collection of sticks in a pot. It is about 26 inches tall now and I'm continuing the racoon's work, while trying to figure out where the bonsai is, in it.

Lacebark_2019-03-13.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nice work Owen. Glad we will be seeing more of this species in the future. It did strike me that your photos show a very similar pattern of growth to P. strobus. Except with back budding and shorter needles. That first lacebark, My thought would be to use the first 3 branches to thicken the trunk, then remove them and make the tree out of the upper branches. This would leave a long section of bare trunk, which would make enjoying the exfoliating bark the focal point.

My seedlings are still buried in snow. They might have emerged with all the rain last night, I'll post them up, when I have a chance.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Owen, I know a guy who's got 2 year old (I think) P. bungeana. You can probably guess who.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for posting, nice progression, appreciate the staging and patience of your approach! Very interesting bark and plenty of time for interior to fill in.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
very cool to see a new species of pine showing bonsai attributes

*lesser used not new. but you know what I mean

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey @Owen Reich I thought of you the other day. I took a road trip down to meehan's miniatures in middle-of-nowhere, Maryland. They sell 3 pine species JBP, scots, and lacebark. I thought it was kind of odd as I don't hear or see much about lacebark. I would call ahead first if you're ever in the area to double check but it might be worth a stop if you have trouble finding this species for sale. Maybe you live in MD and already knew this, i dont know...

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey @Owen Reich I thought of you the other day. I took a road trip down to meehan's miniatures in middle-of-nowhere, Maryland. They sell 3 pine species JBP, scots, and lacebark. I thought it was kind of odd as I don't hear or see much about lacebark. I would call ahead first if you're ever in the area to double check but it might be worth a stop if you have trouble finding this species for sale. Maybe you live in MD and already knew this, i dont know...

Thanks for the heads up.
Had a study group, did demonstrations, workshops, etc there for the past 6 years. They have some of the most pest-free, healthy material around, and there are deals to be had.

Top Bottom