Ladies only- Shout out to the ladies.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
IMG_0157.JPG How many ladies do we have here now?
Seeing quite a few lately.
Introduce yourself and share one of your trees if you can.
My name is Denise. I joined here in 2011. I work for a large hotel chain.
I have 3 cats and love coffee. My only child is a 19 yo daughter.
Currently I only have indoor tropicals but looking at something new in warmer weather.
Maybe olive, maple, or ginkgo. Maybe something easier. :)

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I'll play. Only been on the forum for about a year. I have had some trees for a few years, but have taken it more seriously since joining. I work for an agricultural co-op, grain elevator. I have one son that is 24. I love flowers and can't wait for it to quit raining and warm up, so I can go play in the dirt. Which might explain why I have only tropical/sub-tropical trees. This is my biggest bougie. big bugie.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Paradox ...Sandy you need in on this too.

My name is Darlene...I joined here in 2013. Can't say I actually even really thought about bonsai before then...or knew much about it. Came in from a mission trip from Honduras...and was curious if I could keep a small bougainvillea that I seen there in a pot. Have had a tropical hibiscus in one for a good 15 years. But it's so large...was thinking smaller. And came across bonsai. It's grew into more. Especially when my husband parted with his hot tub to make the enclosed raised gazebo into a cold greenhouse.
image.jpg

I've been married almost 27 years...mother of two teen boys. (Many feel we have three for I have a youth who if he could live here he would. And is always here. As we are youth leaders.) have three dogs,turtles,chinchillas and a ball python snake which the snake is mine. We are considered part time/full time missionaries in Magdalena,Honduras. Will be there for two weeks at the end of June and early July.
I've pretty much have my collection set where I'm content...other than eventually would love a literati feeling tree. Most my collection are zone tolerant...with the exception of a few just outside that area which needs my greenhouse kept at 30F come winter. And a bougainvillea...which started it all.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@amcoffeegirl ... I have not had luck with temperate trees. Tried a rosemary and bottlebrush calestimon. Both I lost during wintering. But...wish you well...I'm sure there are ones in cooler climates that can have success...I'm just not one of them.

Now, the ginkgo...the chi-chi on them is something that had at once turned me off...now has me intrigued. Guess I just came across one that caught my eye. Now I think of how old they are as a species...and think the chi-chi seems fitting for such a tree. Though, there are ginkgo without the chi chi...but the one with the growths I find fitting of a fossil tree as they are considered. Will be curious which will be your non tropical tree. Wishing you success in that venture on your journey.

Great post! Especially when one mentioned awhile back we don't have many female folk here. Or at least ones that are more active ones. Curious if any names pop up that slipped my mind.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I'm Gail, married with two adult daughters. I live in the Idaho panhandle and have always loved bonsai but never really got into it until last year when I joined here.

I remember as a teen, seeing a bonsai kit in one of moms seed catalog and having to have it (thank you karate kid). I literally knew nothing about bonsai except it involved wire and a plant of some kind. Came home one day and saw this really weird little tree that looked a awful lot like a pot plant sitting in the living room. Lo and behold, it was my new JM "bonsai". It came with a 4 page pamphlet on care and some wire but no other instructions. Of course I killed the thing in record time and so ended my interest in trying to create my own bonsai.

Fast forward 30 years. I have a ton of house plants, flower beds and a fair amount of fruit trees but I always want more. Due to living in town, the amount of trees I can plant in the ground is really limited so the next best thing was to start growing them in pots which naturally morphed into trying bonsai again.

I'm not interested in bonsai as a art and I'll never go to a show. What does interest me is keeping pretty trees in small pots, trees I can see bloom and go through their seasonal changes. I'm not concerned with rules and I don't have a artistic bone in body, I enjoy my trees for what they are in all their imperfection.

I don't know how many trees I have but its around 20, I'll count later today when I get some pictures.

Last edited:

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@my nellie
Get in here and tell us bout yourself.
I'm pouring wine.
Hi, Denise!
Please, allow me to set up all of you with the wine! Home made by a relative of mine, pure grape juice of exceptional variety, no chemicals, no preservatives! :)
Here is to your health!

Well, my name shows in my signature, I am Alexandra-Ecaterina from Athens, Greece.
I have been married to an amazing husband, Demetrios, for 44 years now. We have four children, three boys and one girl, who have given us three grand-daughters and one grand-son!
I am retired and my last job was in the medical field. I was working in the statistics of clinical research.
My trees are All of them in training phase and I am not in a haste to put them into bonsai pots. I grow also other decorative plants and lately some orchids, too. Unfortunately I live in an apartment so my space is limited on the balkonies.

I have my stray dog Nellie (my avatar) and two cats, Blofas and Nouri. Blofas and Nouri, mainly the first, are the pruners of my trees :mad:
This is how I have protected my pots from them... into cages. These are two out of the four cages I have built, for this purpose.
IMG_9564_zpspaho3obl.jpg
IMG_9595_zpsvnw2rp2u.jpg

Last edited:

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...and share one of your trees if you can... ...
I have posted photos of some trees of mine on the other thread, that of Mellow Mullet, post #83 https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/t...-art-i-just-like-the-trees-tread.27410/page-5
Here are two more trees out of the few which are into bonsai pots. My Bougainvillea nana which is a twin trunk (doesn't appear clearly on this photo) and my Morus papirifera which is a tanuki, the dead wood being also a dead Morus of mine.
IMG_3883_zpsyn9mfeaa.jpg
IMG_3878_zpsius8k0ph.jpg

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Hi Gail! It seems that you do not appreciate jazz?

Lol, not what I heard this morning. Was way too early for me to be surprised by sounds like that and I posted before my brain had kicked into gear.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Lol, not what I heard this morning. Was way too early for me to be surprised by sounds like that and I posted before my brain had kicked into gear.
I'm always surprised when I hear jazz because I do like it but I never incorporate it into my playlist. I do like it though.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you for sharing in this thread.
Let's keep it going
There should be more woman in bonsai maybe we can encourage them to participate.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi girls! I agree that more women in the bonsai world would be a good thing.
I would hope that more and more we'd become serious about the hobby, because as it is now, I think that we are marginalized in the culture. There are more and more practitioners that are women, so it's probably only a matter of time to integrate.
I miss my friend Victrina Ensor, she and Eric were bright spots for me until they disappeared.

I'm a very busy and driven person, two dogs and on my third (and last) husband, we've been married now for 28 years in June, so this one is def. a keeper. We were just trying other people out along the way to perfect ourselves for each other...
I work in the entertainment industry, I'm an audio engineer from way back, toured in the late 70's thru the early 90's with rock and roll, country and whatever else was out there. Now I primarily am a lighting technician/console operator/lighting designer, as there is more $$ to be made on the lighting side of things in a local position than sound. I got sick of touring and it's allowed me to have a better home life and .... Bonsai! I work long long hours, just took out a Romeo and Juliet Ballet for BalletMet, the company I'm head electrician for yesterday after the weeks run. Spring and fall are my super busy season, so having watering system is a must for me.

Oh, and I love dogs....
Cheers!

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi girls! I agree that more women in the bonsai world would be a good thing.
I'm an audio engineer from way back, toured in the late 70's thru the early 90's with rock and roll, country and whatever else was out there.
Cheers!

Another industry without many women.
I am the Event Tech person at the hotel so I do set up and tear down of all the mics, lights, mixers, stages every day. It drives me crazy when a group comes in and says- Can you send over the A/V guy? Yep, you're talking to him ;)
Victrinia was very helpful to me when I came here. With out her I would probably have been scared away.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Another industry without many women.
I am the Event Tech person at the hotel so I do set up and tear down of all the mics, lights, mixers, stages every day. It drives me crazy when a group comes in and says- Can you send over the A/V guy? Yep, you're talking to him ;)
Victrina was very helpful to me when I came here. With out her I would probably have been scared away.

Dude, when I started in the biz, I only knew of one other female sound engineer, she worked for Roy Clark. She was a front engineer I did monitors so we got to work together when I toured with Roy on and off for a couple years. I had to have a stiff spine, and thick skin.... It's better now, there are more and more women working, I am also IATSE (local 12) and we had probably 10 female members working the load out last night out of about 40, so it's coming on. And there is far less abuse given by the guys so it's not as hard as it used to be. Broadway productions have a pretty good percentage too.

Top Bottom