Lake larch remodeled

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
My Lake larch was remodeled during the Norbilly weekend. As a certain adept Canadian suggested some time ago, the thing seems to look better without the deadwood--even if the top has a ridiculously abrupt non-taperous transition. What do you think?

yua4FnE.jpg

And after:

yeQw0Ny.jpg

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I definitely like it more without the deadwood. I thought the deadwood interrupted the apex even if it is a bit small compared to the rest of the tree. Def an improvement on an already nice tree.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Less visual noise, more pronounced. I like it much better. Is there a way to use some shari to break up the heavy look of the last bit of trunk before it moves to the new leader. Visually, it might help the taper at that point. It's always fun to throw out ideas for someone else's tree...I don't have to live with the consequences!!

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Much easier on the eye now :D Looks a bit like the one on the pot at first glance.

Grimmy

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Much better . Not a big fan of deadwood very much.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I agree as well no deadwood is better. With a bit of carving I'm sure that transition can be made a bit smoother. I do like the exaggerated sense of perspective on this tree.

That is not a final pot yes?

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Definite improvement. I love the way it slants with the tree on the front of the pot. Nice larch.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I love how the removal has accentuated the bend at the apex. It reminds me of the curve of a swans neck. I don't miss the deadwood at all. Lovely old larch.
How was the event? Any chance of some pics?

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Very nice! The apex is much more clearly defined. I saw your story over on IBC - hilarious and full of gorgeous trees.

Love that pot. A lot of people would do ungodly things for a pot like that. I only recently realized just how ga-ga people are for Nick's painted stuff.

There is a Facebook group called Bonsai Classifieds where people post stuff for sale and group members bid on it (it was a response to rising ebay fees, I think). Dale Colchoy recently posted the Lenz coffee cup below. A huge bidding war ensued and it sold for $326. For a bloody coffee cup! The winner was of course somebody with very deep pockets. Funny thing is most of Nick's students and friends (you included, I'm sure) have all kinds of random Nick oddities kicking around.

F68QPBO.jpg

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Very nice! The apex is much more clearly defined. I saw your story over on IBC - hilarious and full of gorgeous trees.

Love that pot. A lot of people would do ungodly things for a pot like that. I only recently realized just how ga-ga people are for Nick's painted stuff.

There is a Facebook group called Bonsai Classifieds where people post stuff for sale and group members bid on it (it was a response to rising ebay fees, I think). Dale Colchoy recently posted the Lenz coffee cup below. A huge bidding war ensued and it sold for $326. For a bloody coffee cup! The winner was of course somebody with very deep pockets. Funny thing is most of Nick's students and friends (you included, I'm sure) have all kinds of random Nick oddities kicking around.

F68QPBO.jpg

Strangely, I deposited the comments and pictures of the Norbilly event under the original BN "announcement" and it is not obvious to other nutters but it is there.
And yes, I have a lifetime collection of Lenzian oddities, trees, and pots (I wish I had bought way more) and odd-ball gifts. I am what he terms his "original student" meeting first through letters, then I drove 1500 miles and visited for the first time thirty some years ago.

Top Bottom