Lance's JBP....

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
How about one of these?
I may sell some in the coming year.View attachment 152983 View attachment 152984
:):D
Houston is a long way....
I would love to pick one up personally, when the time is right....
Rather than ship....but I will not rule out that possibility!:D
Let me know when you're ready to let one go, and we'll talk.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks, I just did it a few days ago. That is a losing battle for me but I kept on fighting.
Exactly! I wish my trees grew as vigorously as the weeds next to them. Unfortunately, mid summer in the South is weed and mosquito season, and with the heat index in the 100+ range, I'm losing this battle at the moment, too:(. Tomorrow, I'm spraying straight white vinegar on the most weed infested pots, which should help temporarily.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Exactly! I wish my trees grew as vigorously as the weeds next to them. Unfortunately, mid summer in the South is weed and mosquito season, and with the heat index in the 100+ range, I'm losing this battle at the moment, too:(. Tomorrow, I'm spraying straight white vinegar on the most weed infested pots, which should help temporarily.
Using vinegar to fight weeds... That's new to me. That kill weeds but doesn't harm trees? I like to know more.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Using vinegar to fight weeds... That's new to me. That kill weeds but doesn't harm trees? I like to know more.
I've used it as a sprayed on herbicide in the past... household strength white vinegar cut 50% with water. It definitely kills algae and will kill the top growth on some weeds. I'm using it full strength for the first time tomorrow but am comfortable with it being non harmful to my potted trees as long as I don't douse the pot. There is actually a horticultural vinegar, I believe 20% acetic acid, that's used in a similar fashion though more caution/restraint should be used with that.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've used it as a sprayed on herbicide in the past... household strength white vinegar cut 50% with water. It definitely kills algae and will kill the top growth on some weeds. I'm using it full strength for the first time tomorrow but am comfortable with it being non harmful to my potted trees as long as I don't douse the pot. There is actually a horticultural vinegar, I believe 20% acetic acid, that's used in a similar fashion though more caution/restraint should be used with that.
Dav, please report back the result as this is very interesting.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Every cold-hardy tree goes in Thanksgiving weekend. October isn't what it used to be! It does see some cold and some light frost. I got this tree your discussing at Bonsai West four years or so ago, has to kick the can to get it out of the ice in the ratty hoop-house where he kept them at the time!!:eek::eek::D:D:D:D:D So it was already pretty acclimated to the cold!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D

As far as winter protection? Ummmmmm, I have a porch?!?!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
The openings are covered with a couple layers of 8mm poly......and that's it.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Winter doesn't seem to affect it too much in there, it seems to offer a gradual course into freeze mode.:confused:
I imagine that doesn't qualify as "significant"? ;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Still alive, though! Even looks kinda' healthy, I must say.....:cool:
This approach has killed more than a few Chinese Elms, Tridents and Chinese Quince, though, as I've discovered!:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Sixty degrees in Feb. followed by long cold snaps in March and April can reek havoc, as your well aware in this locale...what happened to spring?:mad:

I accounted for the extra time the storage provides me based on a 4-8 week period of bud, elongating needles, begin to harden. Figure the storage gives me roughly a month of "hardening off" before it's "windshield scraper" time. What I consider a dangerous frost level. Close to the "100 days" nonsense.

The Japanese had to have a bug infestation teach them how to work a JBP. And in the grand timeline of Bonsai, they just figured this out last week, figuratively. That reeks of dogma....and I don't appreciate dogma. On the other hand, I'm not doing stuff like this with no forethought. I think I'm using common horticultural sense and a sensitive approach. And certainly NOT trying to re-invent the wheel or questioning anyone else's technique, arguing, telling people, "do this". I tell people that might be watching, "don't do this".

And to expand on that, this is an approach that I don't plan on repeating on either tree, necessarily. The last one shown is a "practice tree". Upon which I've heaped MUCH abuse...so I observed it's response to each varied insult and recorded the aftermath.:oops::oops::oops::oops:. It was always my plan to cut spring candles on the two trunk, going forward. I didn't think the tree was ready until now. Although, in hindsight, it could/should have been done last year. But I didn't think I could grow it so strong!! De-candling is more of a refinement technique, I supposed. Didn't think it was ready for such yet.

Oh, one more thing.....I didn't really want to comment on it, but it has been bugging me a bit. If you want to attach something like "yadda, yadda, yadda" to my thoughts @Adair M , well, I take that a bit personally. At least as much as "internet sadness" affects me.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D. I've always been respectful and appreciative of your wonderful contributions here, but I find your comments to border on the "elitist". I'm just a guy that has never grown anything in a container. And I don't think I've really started doing "Bonsai" proper. I'm not "claiming" anything. I'm no Dario!!:confused::confused: When I got these, I had but three or four years of "experience" container growing, ZERO knowledge of JBP, (or any conifer, for that matter!). So I'm pleased/surprised that they are healthy and while perhaps not advancing quickly, they are not declining/dead.:cool::cool::cool::cool:. The entire process has given me a bit of a spiritual uplift, I have to say. And deepening my appreciation of the medium and Nature in general. So I have to say your characterization of me is a bit disappointing, to say the least. I certainly realize that I might come across poorly to you relating to my content. I get it, I'm a strong cup of tea for most people. But while I may not have anything to offer you, one has to imagine, I will continue to learn from you as I have been. In fact, I don't think I could have got to this point without learning from your posts. Despite "this point" being unsatisfactory to you.o_O;):D:D:D:D:D:D If anything, I hope my posts encourage people to stop looking to get spoon fed and get out there and work on your trees!!!!

With all respect.:(

Or, the ignore button is always an option!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@LanceMac10 ,

hang in there creative one, it's a long ride.

By the way just to soften the responses ------- I believe Sifu [ Adair ] cares, and has much to pass on, he
just should not take a job as a negotiator with ISIS :):eek:------------ teasing Sifu.

Back to Lance.

Wait until you get to try the ------------- tree is styled and now you must remove all but 3 pairs of needles
all over. Did you see the images someone posted from Japan recently ------------ frightening -----------
and what looks like an old pine.:eek::eek::eek:

Good Day
Anthony

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Every cold-hardy tree goes in Thanksgiving weekend. October isn't what it used to be! It does see some cold and some light frost. I got this tree your discussing at Bonsai West four years or so ago, has to kick the can to get it out of the ice in the ratty hoop-house where he kept them at the time!!:eek::eek::D:D:D:D:D So it was already pretty acclimated to the cold!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D

As far as winter protection? Ummmmmm, I have a porch?!?!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
The openings are covered with a couple layers of 8mm poly......and that's it.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Winter doesn't seem to affect it too much in there, it seems to offer a gradual course into freeze mode.:confused:
I imagine that doesn't qualify as "significant"? ;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Still alive, though! Even looks kinda' healthy, I must say.....:cool:
This approach has killed more than a few Chinese Elms, Tridents and Chinese Quince, though, as I've discovered!:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Sixty degrees in Feb. followed by long cold snaps in March and April can reek havoc, as your well aware in this locale...what happened to spring?:mad:

I accounted for the extra time the storage provides me based on a 4-8 week period of bud, elongating needles, begin to harden. Figure the storage gives me roughly a month of "hardening off" before it's "windshield scraper" time. What I consider a dangerous frost level. Close to the "100 days" nonsense.

The Japanese had to have a bug infestation teach them how to work a JBP. And in the grand timeline of Bonsai, they just figured this out last week, figuratively. That reeks of dogma....and I don't appreciate dogma. On the other hand, I'm not doing stuff like this with no forethought. I think I'm using common horticultural sense and a sensitive approach. And certainly NOT trying to re-invent the wheel or questioning anyone else's technique, arguing, telling people, "do this". I tell people that might be watching, "don't do this".

And to expand on that, this is an approach that I don't plan on repeating on either tree, necessarily. The last one shown is a "practice tree". Upon which I've heaped MUCH abuse...so I observed it's response to each varied insult and recorded the aftermath.:oops::oops::oops::oops:. It was always my plan to cut spring candles on the two trunk, going forward. I didn't think the tree was ready until now. Although, in hindsight, it could/should have been done last year. But I didn't think I could grow it so strong!! De-candling is more of a refinement technique, I supposed. Didn't think it was ready for such yet.

Oh, one more thing.....I didn't really want to comment on it, but it has been bugging me a bit. If you want to attach something like "yadda, yadda, yadda" to my thoughts @Adair M , well, I take that a bit personally. At least as much as "internet sadness" affects me.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D. I've always been respectful and appreciative of your wonderful contributions here, but I find your comments to border on the "elitist". I'm just a guy that has never grown anything in a container. And I don't think I've really started doing "Bonsai" proper. I'm not "claiming" anything. I'm no Dario!!:confused::confused: When I got these, I had but three or four years of "experience" container growing, ZERO knowledge of JBP, (or any conifer, for that matter!). So I'm pleased/surprised that they are healthy and while perhaps not advancing quickly, they are not declining/dead.:cool::cool::cool::cool:. The entire process has given me a bit of a spiritual uplift, I have to say. And deepening my appreciation of the medium and Nature in general. So I have to say your characterization of me is a bit disappointing, to say the least. I certainly realize that I might come across poorly to you relating to my content. I get it, I'm a strong cup of tea for most people. But while I may not have anything to offer you, one has to imagine, I will continue to learn from you as I have been. In fact, I don't think I could have got to this point without learning from your posts. Despite "this point" being unsatisfactory to you.o_O;):D:D:D:D:D:D If anything, I hope my posts encourage people to stop looking to get spoon fed and get out there and work on your trees!!!!

With all respect.:(

Or, the ignore button is always an option!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Good post... impressive for a NH boy:D. Fwiw, I think keeping JBP healthy in usda zone 5 climates has always been difficult, and the ever changing fickle winters hasn't made it any easier. Your trees look great! It's always a treat seeing healthy JBP hanging in the frozen tundra "north of The Wall";).

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good post... impressive for a NH boy:D. Fwiw, I think keeping JBP healthy in usda zone 5 climates has always been difficult, and the ever changing fickle winters hasn't made it any easier. Your trees look great! It's always a treat seeing healthy JBP hanging in the frozen tundra "north of The Wall";).

I appreciate your comments, @Dav4 I've also learned a tremendous amount from your contributions, in particular your "formative" years!!:D:D:D;) I really admire your trees, manner and passion for the medium. Might I say, inspired.:cool: So thank you for sticking around this forum when it would seem that your abilities far outstrip your need to be here!!:):):):):):) Go PATS!!!;)

I'll say this, after six years of learning, I enjoy/am fascinated more now then when I first began. And I think you know that feeling when you first discovered Bonsai I'm referring to....I'm still filled with amazement and wonder....it's corny, but I've gotten more than I've given......$$,$$$ included...:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Perhaps a tree can "bonsai" a soul?:rolleyes:

What can I say? It's a reflective Saturday, I suppose.....guess I'll go decandle some Pines....heheheeeeee, seriously.....:confused::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I appreciate your comments, @Dav4 I've also learned a tremendous amount from your contributions, in particular your "formative" years!!:D:D:D;) I really admire your trees, manner and passion for the medium. Might I say, inspired.:cool: So thank you for sticking around this forum when it would seem that your abilities far outstrip your need to be here!!:):):):):):) Go PATS!!!;)

I'll say this, after six years of learning, I enjoy/am fascinated more now then when I first began. And I think you know that feeling when you first discovered Bonsai I'm referring to....I'm still filled with amazement and wonder....it's corny, but I've gotten more than I've given......$$,$$$ included...:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Perhaps a tree can "bonsai" a soul?:rolleyes:

What can I say? It's a reflective Saturday, I suppose.....guess I'll go decandle some Pines....heheheeeeee, seriously.....:confused::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Thanks for the kind words. Fwiw, I consider you one of the old guards now, so keep fighting the good fight and doing your thing New Hampshire style.. After 20 years, I may be beyond my formative years but I doubt I'll ever not be amazed at the beauty of a well styled, healthy bonsai or be amazed at how de-candling a JRP or JBP can completely transform it in 6 weeks... absolutely wonderful and awesome.

One last thing... this time next year, do you think TB will wear 5 rings on one hand and one on the other, or will he wear three on each?

:cool:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@LanceMac10 ,

hang in there creative one, it's a long ride.

By the way just to soften the responses ------- I believe Sifu [ Adair ] cares, and has much to pass on, he
just should not take a job as a negotiator with ISIS :):eek:------------ teasing Sifu.

Back to Lance.

Wait until you get to try the ------------- tree is styled and now you must remove all but 3 pairs of needles
all over. Did you see the images someone posted from Japan recently ------------ frightening -----------
and what looks like an old pine.:eek::eek::eek:

Good Day
Anthony
From what I can tell, there is no point in negotiating with ISIS.

The protocol of decandling JBP is pretty well established. Believe me, once the process was "discovered" they did thousands of experiments to determine the most effective methods. Even still, everyone lives in their own microclimate, and adjustments for timing are required.

Is it "dogma" to follow time tested methods?

Is it "elitist" to use my trees as examples of the results I get from applying the techniques I espouse here?

I do care about others trees, and I come here to help others learn effective methods. Lance's tree has made little progress in 4 years. Oh, it's healthy, and that's a good thing, but it could be much farther along.

If you don't like my posting style, sorry. I finger type on my iPhone. And I tell it like it is.

Top Bottom