Lance's JBP....

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It's "Jheri", son. Can't grow out the flow anymore, too much copper. Craftin' Bronze, pushin' thirty years. Grey turns green after a couple inches. Put a white tee on me in summer and I'll tie-dye that shit right quick!!!
"Its Jheri son"! .....between that, and the green greys, you're showing your experience and wisdom.
Hahahahaha!

You work with Bronze?
Color me intrigued....
Do tell.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Its Jheri son"! .....between that, and the green greys, you're showing your experience and wisdom.
Hahahahaha!

You work with Bronze?
Color me intrigued....
Do tell.

….shameless plug....

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just to "frame up" your mind...so you don't bring them negative vibes.....

Yes, that's a "backdrop(?)....it's a first! ;)

DSC00910.JPG

DSC00911.JPG

DSC00912.JPG

DSC00909.JPG

Needs some needle-pulling( yes, I do pluck needles) here and there, for sure. Already pushing out of the pot after, what, two years. Hopefully going all in on certain techniques will slow the roots down some? I'll get some wire on in the fall or so, probably try some copper wire, but the aluminum was effective enough as the branch structure was already established when purchased.

Caught a bird with that trap, I let it go. Looks like an Elm needs some attention. Twist one up on me and enjoy yourself. Take life easy

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tokoname Keizan. Not sure the color is that rare, but maybe a bit less common than browns and such. Does look nice and has a uniform shape thru ought. This particular "kiln" does seem to feature this grey clay more than most. I thought it would enhance the grey in the bark. Have to really go at the root ball next time so it fit's more appropriately. It's freed-up some since the initial repot so I imagine it could handle a bit heavier hand than my usual routine. Just a schmuck in the backyard, so it don't look too bad....learned everything here, is that good or bad? πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„

Thanks for the kind words! Just finishing up Kiss Alive then on to the Dead Live '69 'till I go up the street for dinner and some "over-served" cocktails.....and hope the rain holds off on the stumble home!

Have a great day!:cool:🀘

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I should pluck 'em.....wonder if it would prompt a "emergency response" type thing? πŸ€”

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I should pluck 'em.....wonder if it would prompt a "emergency response" type thing? πŸ€”
Lance, it's hard to tell from the pics - do you have all the interior growth that you need or are you still trying to encourage back budding on some of those branches? That middle photo in the post above, gives the impression that the growth is way out at the end of that branch - maybe that's not the correct interpretation but without any other context tough to tell.

I guess what I'm getting at is, if you are still trying to get interior buds to be able to cut back, you probably shouldn't be decandling those areas or doing any needle removal. It took me a number of years of largely unrestrained growth to get sufficient back budding on my JBP. Maybe you've got all you need in which case ignore my comments!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lance, it's hard to tell from the pics - do you have all the interior growth that you need or are you still trying to encourage back budding on some of those branches? That middle photo in the post above, gives the impression that the growth is way out at the end of that branch - maybe that's not the correct interpretation but without any other context tough to tell.

I guess what I'm getting at is, if you are still trying to get interior buds to be able to cut back, you probably shouldn't be decandling those areas or doing any needle removal. It took me a number of years of largely unrestrained growth to get sufficient back budding on my JBP. Maybe you've got all you need in which case ignore my comments!
Here’s the thing about β€œback budding”…

JBP back bud in a response to stress. That is to say, they backbud in an effort to create new foliage because they need it. If they have lots of foliage, they don’t typically need to backbud because they’re getting all the sugar they need.

But, in order to back bud, they need to be β€œstrong” to have the resources required. Kind of a Catch-22, right?

Decandling β€œcan” help stimulate backbudding in that all the new foliage is removed. But, it typically just create new shoots at the terminal bud union.

To really push backbudding along, foliage thinning is required. Lance’s tree is really β€œbushy”. It pretty much always has been. That’s a problem for β€œbackbudding”. The tree never feels the need to backbud.

So, my suggestion:

Thus fall, pull all the old needles, keeping only the new shoots from this summer. Be sure to reduce the new summer shoots to keep only two at each terminal. Wire EVERYTHING. Splay all the branches out. This will expose all the old woody portions to the sun. If done correctly, the tree should kinda look a bit like a Charlie Brown x-mas tree. Over the winter, the tree will likely create buds at old intersections. It might take two years.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey, @coh ! I was referring to this photo...
DSC00922.JPG

A large preponderance of needles. Buds already formed. Yes, energy from the needles would be lost if I pulled the down/up needles. The tree is two years out from re-pot with the minimalist of needle work. Yes, as mentioned, it's always bushy. Plenty of vigor for aggressive action. So the loss of a certain amount of needles wouldn't concern me too much. Needles pictured are on the lowest branches.

Been a odd season. Near freezing on Memorial day and cooler temps early in summer seemed to slow spring growth. 90's hit and it really moved. Still cooler than normal here, of course. First frost usually 3rd week of October, my micro-climate probably 2 weeks later and winter storage area gives a bit longer.

I've managed to keep shoots further in, viable, on both trees. Just need to choose and refine and be a lot better at wiring to bring out a nice image. And yes, the top of the smaller tree has to, probably, gotta' go.....I'll take a look and scope for some more buds!

Nice to see you back involved with this nonsense! ;) πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey, @coh ! I was referring to this photo...
View attachment 388035

A large preponderance of needles. Buds already formed. Yes, energy from the needles would be lost if I pulled the down/up needles. The tree is two years out from re-pot with the minimalist of needle work. Yes, as mentioned, it's always bushy. Plenty of vigor for aggressive action. So the loss of a certain amount of needles wouldn't concern me too much. Needles pictured are on the lowest branches.

Been a odd season. Near freezing on Memorial day and cooler temps early in summer seemed to slow spring growth. 90's hit and it really moved. Still cooler than normal here, of course. First frost usually 3rd week of October, my micro-climate probably 2 weeks later and winter storage area gives a bit longer.

I've managed to keep shoots further in, viable, on both trees. Just need to choose and refine and be a lot better at wiring to bring out a nice image. And yes, the top of the smaller tree has to, probably, gotta' go.....I'll take a look and scope for some more buds!

Nice to see you back involved with this nonsense! ;) πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

I would of course defer to Adair for specifics on how to manage JBPs! My experience has been that letting them grow wild for a while, then wiring out branches and removing needles where appropriate (to let light inside) will spur interior buds to develop.

Looking forward to seeing this one as you start to do the selection and clean up work (needle removal, wiring). I will say, it's amazing how much better a JBP looks when you remove the bottom needles, all of a sudden it starts looking like a tree.

Epicea

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How is the care of JBP pines?
I have one that I just buy a couples week.

It's an easy tree? Why some tell they are tricky?

ThanksIMG_20210828_185029__01.jpg

Top Bottom