Land and water pots...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I currently have a bougainvillea in a 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 square pot...I know it needs to be in a larger pot to make it increase thickness of the trunk. I was thinking...5-6 inch pot...but when one goes and looks at the land and water...those proportions don't quite fit.

My large pot option:

Ceramic bonsai pot, 9.5 x 7.5 x 2.25 inches. Land portion measure 7.5 x 5.5 inches.
Land/water, oval, dark moss green with scalloped edges.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 22

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The site gives no land measurements...so I figure 4-5 inches would be possibly the larger section for soil. Assumption only...

Water/Land Pot, rectangular, 8"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 11

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like all three styles...curious if I should glue/adhesive stone along the water side to give the appearance of the rock ledge between the land and water...or should I look into a larger pot...for just land and glue/adhesive an area for water.

Should I wait it out for my Penjing book to arrive and not jump the gun impatiently...in case the book shows a setup I prefer more?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 24

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Land and water pots -- which many feel are pretty much kitsch anyway -- would probably be inappropriate for a Bougainvillea anyway. Bougies are dry-land plants; in nature I doubt you'd find one near water.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Land and water pots -- which many feel are pretty much kitsch anyway -- would probably be inappropriate for a Bougainvillea anyway. Bougies are dry-land plants; in nature I doubt you'd find one near water.

You know...your going to make me have to add another bonsai to the group...and my husband already took a head count asking me straight out how many I had...though...I am growing roots on that tamarix...it is really rooting now finally...they like water...but...I braided the trunk...curious if I should unbraid it...it is far from a bonsai though...

I wanted to make the bougainvillea seem more...substantial since the pots soil is like 2 1/4 thick...and I can't do a thin pot...maybe I need to rethink that...and just pot it...into a pot I truly love. Maybe some of that soilder moss with the bougainvilla? Or to much...with the pink pearl variation I have?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I wanted to make the bougainvillea seem more...substantial since the pots soil is like 2 1/4 thick...and I can't do a thin pot...maybe I need to rethink that...and just pot it...into a pot I truly love. Maybe some of that soilder moss with the bougainvilla? Or to much...with the pink pearl variation I have?

I suspect at the proper time you could reduce the roots to fit into a more shallow container... And I agree it my look a bit odd in a waterscape. You might consider a Willow arcing over the water for a first time experiment.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
;) gotcha...though...it is said to not to trim the roots back on bougies until...I forget...something about the looks of the roots. Mine are far from that stage is what I gathered.

I did see a weeping form bonsai...not sure what kind it is. That should go into another post thread...to maybe consider as a water land pot option. :D

Top Bottom