land/water pot

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a very curvy land/water pot and i was wondering if anyone else uses them. is there any rules about what kind of tree can be in them? i want to put a ficus in it. This will be my first repot ever. and root pruning. Should i wait until next spring? the pot is very full right now with alot of fast draining.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I don't think there are any rules, but you want to make sure the tree you're putting in the pot isn't a small twig. What is the size of the ficus? Remember that by putting it into a smaller pot, the trunk growth will slow. So, is the trunk the size you want? Maybe some pictures would help.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
in that case no its not ready. thank you for the info. i will add pics soon. its just a baby. lol.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
here are a couple pics

Attachments

• DSC05920.jpg
    DSC05920.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC06000.jpg
    DSC06000.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC05921.jpg
    DSC05921.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 105

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
come on ryan you know what ficus that is. don't you have about 7 million of them??

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
come on ryan you know what ficus that is. don't you have about 7 million of them??

Close, only about 6 million :rolleyes:

That's a Willow Leaf, in case you weren't aware amcoffeegirl, and I've got probably 30 of them or so. Very fast growers, respond well to being chopped in half, and tolerate indoors like you wouldn't believe. If I were you I would get that tree growing under some lights, then once it shows new growth go ahead and repot into a larger pot with free draining soil. You will be rewarded with great growth.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
thank you so much.

i have some orchids in my home so i will place it next to them.

they love high light also.

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
ok ryan now to make your decade-to see the mother of all willow leaf ficus worldwide google wonderboom pretoria south africa.Wonderboom is also a suberb of pretoria so you need to search for the tree-they recon it is over 1000 years old.....

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To me that pot looks great for that tree. It has enough room to let the tree spread roots out and with yearly root trimming the pot would suffice for years. I assume the smaller side is for holding water? I have never seen one of these pots before, it would seem great for your Ficus though.

ed

Reaction score
unfortunately were I live these type of pots are mostly good for growing mosquitoes in...

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I will see if i can keep this little tree alive until spring. then put it in the bonsai pot and hope i can prune it correctly. thanks so much for the replies. i really enjoy this forum and hope to see someone else with pics of land/water pots.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
unfortunately were I live these type of pots are mostly good for growing mosquitoes in...

LOL !! How true, beleive it or not thats the same in the summer in Ohio. I seen the reply about cleaning out the water side too, I bet you could get one of those small fish that eat algae growth in the water and that would take care of that.

ed

Phillip C

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Although I can't see a picture of the pot, I have one that sounds alot like it. It has a blue sort of matte enameled part for the water. Mine was made by Pine Garden Pottery. That is what is stamped on the bottom of the pot anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have one of these pots and I actually really enjoy it. I have a Ficus in mine as well and this spring, the plan is to do some major landscaping.

I'm planning to disguise the divider with muck, moss the entire soil surface, and put sand in the bottom of the water section to make it look more legitimate.

Here is a picture I took of it last year, right after repotting.

5.jpg

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is nearly one of my first posts on this forum. My very first ficus was this one.
I never did use the land/water pot. Donated it to goodwill.
I have had maybe 50-60 ficus through my journey here and currently about 25 in my collection. I can’t wait for mid May here in Iowa. Thanks for sharing your photo.
I am interested to see the tree hiding just on the edge of this photo. Looks like a nice one.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've been studying pictures of river banks, edges of lakes, etc. to get a better idea of how I want to disguise that divider using the moss and muck. to make it look better.

Also studying rocks normally appearing near water features and such.

I water this tree by putting the end of my wand into the water and letting it overflow into the pot section containing the tree, then water overhead. This takes care of the dreaded mosquito larva, though I've never seen any in there.

Here is the most recent picture of the tree, after wiring it to allow more light into the interior.

6.jpg

After fertilizing in the spring, it should grow much better, and this pot will do a great job of slowing down the growth a bit so it doesn't triple in size like the other ficus I'm growing.

I'll share updates often as I have fairly high hopes that this will turn into a nice planting. If not, it will still be something fun to play with.

If you look closely, you can see my small mudman collection on the window sill too...

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
I really like the last photo with the little man fishing , it 's a kind of penjing .

The front of the pot which makes tank is certainly a good thing for the tree (evaporation when it 's hot ) , and the ficus like a humid atmoshere .

👍

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
They certainly do and I have to fill the water section every day due to evaporation.
I really like the last photo with the little man fishing , it 's a kind of penjing .

The front of the pot which makes tank is certainly a good thing for the tree (evaporation when it 's hot ) , and the ficus like a humid atmoshere .

👍

Thanks for that, and as I mentioned, I will update my progress regularly on this planting...

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've been studying pictures of river banks, edges of lakes, etc. to get a better idea of how I want to disguise that divider using the moss and muck. to make it look better.

Also studying rocks normally appearing near water features and such.

I water this tree by putting the end of my wand into the water and letting it overflow into the pot section containing the tree, then water overhead. This takes care of the dreaded mosquito larva, though I've never seen any in there.

Here is the most recent picture of the tree, after wiring it to allow more light into the interior.

View attachment 284678

After fertilizing in the spring, it should grow much better, and this pot will do a great job of slowing down the growth a bit so it doesn't triple in size like the other ficus I'm growing.

I'll share updates often as I have fairly high hopes that this will turn into a nice planting. If not, it will still be something fun to play with.

If you look closely, you can see my small mudman collection on the window sill too...
Very nice composition! If you want to disguise the dividing wall I found that the green sticky clay used by florists bonds well to smooth surfaces, hardens over time and can be removed if needed. Rocks and sand can be pressed onto the sticky clay. I've used it to make small moats in trays for accent plantings. Here's a larger land and water scene with mudman that someone had custom made from a standard bonsai pot. A good friend found it at an estate sale and gave it to me. I couldn't find a tree I felt suitable to use in it so I planted the "Green Panda" cultivar miniature bamboo in it until I find the right tree.

Attachments

• fisherman.jpg
    fisherman.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 27
Top Bottom