Landscape Barberry - Windswept Progression

BonsaiRic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
While doing a landscape job in the summer of 2007, the homeowner told me I could have this dwarf green Barberry that she wanted removed. I wasn't sure how it would transplant since it was early summer.

I actually split the plant into two clumps. I put them into coarse media and both pieces seemed to do well. (The other piece is featured in this thread)

This piece of Barberry I decided to develop as a windswept clump. I transplanted it in March 2010 from the square, wooden training box into a shallow rectangular training box until I can find a suitable pot. I'm leaning toward a shallow oval pot. (Undecided on the color)

The first picture is from 2007. The second is from 2008. The last two are after transplanting in 2010.

Attachments

• Berberis thunbergii2arsbnut.jpg
    Berberis thunbergii2arsbnut.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 177
  • 100_0716rsbnut.jpg
    100_0716rsbnut.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 199
  • 100_2800rsbnut.jpg
    100_2800rsbnut.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 207
  • 100_2802rsbnut.jpg
    100_2802rsbnut.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 269

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Congrats!!! This has to be one of the best windswept I have seen posted on the forums in a very long time. Typically this style is reserved for the newbie that thinks every tree can be a windswept. Bunjin and windswept~ The hardest styles to pull off properly and convincingly.

Nice work!

Jason

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice start. the design is cohesive and the flow is nice. good work.

BonsaiRic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks guys. I will consider a rock or slab.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's nice, but it still needs a little tweaking the middle section :D The section between the main tree and the trees to the right looks a bit dense and confused--at least from what you can tell in the photo. Thinning that out and giving the remaining branches some order would help refine this into a great tree.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is outstanding worK! May I ask the total time it took to wire this tree?

Rob

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is a nice berberis. Do you know the variety ? Anyone who wires these should receive a medal or something, the thorns are killers.

BonsaiRic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Rockm for your thoughts. I will definitely proceed to thin out the tree some after this growing season. The tree has good depth and doesn't seem as jumbled in person. The pics show the tree from both sides to give you an idea of the front-to-back depth.

Attachments

• 100_2801rsbnut.jpg
    100_2801rsbnut.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 100_2803rsbnut.jpg
    100_2803rsbnut.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 84

BonsaiRic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
October and davetree,

Thanks for your thoughts as well. It is a green leaf Barberry and the growth is compact. Upon collection it was a two foot diameter globe.

UConn database lists two green cultivars, 'Kobold' and 'Sparkle'. After also consulting the Manual of Woody Landscape Plants by Michael Dirr, 'Kobold' seems to fit the description.

I've included a picture of my plant's fall color.

My secret for working on Barberry (and Junipers) is a pair of leather work gloves where I've cut the fingertips off the gloves just enough so I have the ability to grip with my fingers but it protects the remainder of my hands and fingers. There are still occasional wake-up calls from thorns but it is more tolerable overall. ;)

Total time for wiring was approximately 2 hours with aluminum wire. Since it's a brittle species I worked carefully and only broke a few minor branches.

Attachments

• Berberis thunbergii2crsbnut.jpg
    Berberis thunbergii2crsbnut.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
'Kobold' is a very nice plant, small green leaves and corky trunk. I have killed a couple of nice ones of those....

BonsaiRic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll do my best to not kill it. ;)

BonsaiRic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently made a slab for this clump. The root zone was shallow and flat on the bottom so I lifted it out of its training box and was able to set it on the slab with no additional disturbance to the roots. It is growing strongly and did not require any further root trimming so I decided to set it on the slab this year even though I moved it from the deep grow box to the shallow one in March 2010.

I made "muck" to form the wall around the root pad out of clay from my yard, sphagnum moss and peat moss. The muck turned out great and was very pliable and sticky.

The slab is flat and the next level of material is the muck with moss planted on it.

Defintely needs trimming to refine the form :D

Attachments

• 100_2993croprs.jpg
    100_2993croprs.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think this is a lovely tree... I would like to say I think you should consider thinning your branches down quite a bit... it will emphasize the form. I'm including a lovely Jabo that was styled by a visiting Penjing Master of the Lingnan school of Penjing. You'll notice that styling of the branches on the right side have sharp angles to give the feeling of strength and power against the wind, before evolving into the flow and grace of the extending left side branching.

I look forward to watching this develop. :)

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Attachments

• DAVE.jpg
    DAVE.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 113

BonsaiRic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Victrinia,

Thanks for the picture and thoughts. You and Rockm are right it does need a selective thinning. I will certainly do that.

Have a great day,
Eric

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You definitely have an excellent grasp of the form... That is for certain. It will only improve under your training. Please be sure to post a photo of it when you thin it. :)

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

BonsaiRic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thinned out the small spur growth. Before and after pics.

Attachments

• 100_2993croprs.jpg
    100_2993croprs.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 100_3004croprs.jpg
    100_3004croprs.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 84
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Now THAT is more like it.... *applause* :D

Well done... now if only all the things I ever asked for came that fast...lol