Larch and Chinese Quince Wanted

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm on the look out for Larch and Chinese Quince, seedlings or larger. I don't have a large budget. I have located a few online. Before I make a decision where to get them I thought I would post here and see if any BonsaiNutters have something to spare. I did start larch seeds but nothing has come up yet. I wouldn't mind getting a jump on something that has already grown at least one season. Thanks!

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a couple of rooted Chinese Quince cuttings taken from mature flowering wood. I just potted them up a couple of weeks ago, so would prefer to wait until fall to send. If you will send me a reminder around the first of October, I'll send 'em your way.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I got a couple quince last year from Kaede Bonsai that grew like weeds—highly recommend. As for larch, I got American larch last year from Holly Hills Nursery. I waited until they went on sale and got a pretty good deal. They have Japanese as well. If you get on their email list they send daily specials. They also grew well and have bud out. I just got more Japanese larch yesterday from Scenic Hills Farm in OR. Really good deal right now on eBay 10 plants for $39 with free shipping. Here are some photos:

Quince
5BAFAABC-9091-451E-BC46-9974522DFD63.jpeg

American larch
26C95764-3EF3-47A8-81BF-F4F181F059C6.jpeg

Japanese larch
830D51ED-7981-4644-9CFC-5566AF965A7E.jpeg

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I love Chinese quince. Wish I would have started 100 of them in the ground 15 years ago, with some wiggle in the trunks.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you all for the wonderful responses! I'll have a look at these various options when I get home. I will probably locate a Chinese Quince long before this autumn though one never knows! I have larch seeds down since last autumn that will in theory germinate this spring, or ... eventually. I wouldn't mind locating something a little larger. A Japanese larch is a maybe and I'll compare it with my native species. ;)

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have a couple of rooted Chinese Quince cuttings taken from mature flowering wood. I just potted them up a couple of weeks ago, so would prefer to wait until fall to send. If you will send me a reminder around the first of October, I'll send 'em your way.
Just hardwood cuttings pushed in the ground?

Paul G

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got a couple quince last year from Kaede Bonsai that grew like weeds—highly recommend. As for larch, I got American larch last year from Holly Hills Nursery. I waited until they went on sale and got a pretty good deal. They have Japanese as well. If you get on their email list they send daily specials. They also grew well and have bud out. I just got more Japanese larch yesterday from Scenic Hills Farm in OR. Really good deal right now on eBay 10 plants for $39 with free shipping. Here are some photos:

Quince
View attachment 231992

American larch
View attachment 231993

Japanese larch
View attachment 231994
For what it's worth, I just went online and ordered a batch from Scenic Hill Farm based on your post. I have been thrilled with the quality of their stock from men previous orders (scots and mugo). Thanks for the post!!!

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Scenic Hill Farm on eBay is selling Japanese larch for a great price. I got 10 for $39.95 including shipping! The plants arrived in great shape and are growing like weeds. Nice plants that should be able to take slightly warmer USDA zone 7. I have been tempted to order more.

CFB74673-4A2E-4345-89EF-174213852B1A.jpeg

Top Bottom