Larch breaking dormancy and frost

keithl

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Have American Larch that is starting to show some green. Overnight it's going down to 30 so I'm assuming there will be some frost. Is it ok to leave it out, or should these be protected?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I hope it is all right as mine are doing the same thing and we are looking at 26 F tonight. My buds are green but not really fully erupted yet, i.e. no little shaving brushes. I am assuming that since these are adapted to life in the great northland they are adapted for late spring freezes and their new foliage is pretty hardy. So far that assumption has worked, but I’ll let you know in a couple of says!

keithl

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's my thinking as well, but wanted to check to make sure. Definitely let me know how it goes!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If it were mine, I would put it in the garage for the night just to be safe

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My larch is always the first to pop. I don’t protect them once they break bud but I live in a really warm zone for them

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Mine popped last year in February and weathered the cold after that fine so I’m assuming they will take it again. If not I just ordered another bunch of Japanese larch.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trees are well aware that there may be some late frosts. I find that even maples with young leaves are not damaged by a dip into frost for a few hours, as long as it is not a through and through freezing.
Larch I would not worry about for one second (But I grow european and japanese; Do not know how whimpy americans are)

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trees are well aware that there may be some late frosts. I find that even maples with young leaves are not damaged by a dip into frost for a few hours, as long as it is not a through and through freezing.
Larch I would not worry about for one second

Agreed. No worries,;) can handle it.

Top Bottom