Larch bud dieback.

Fabledabel

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hello all!

I bought some field grown larch earlier this season and I'm having some issues. Theyve been slow to open thanks to our weather and late summer here in Toronto.

Now that they are showing some vigor, I am seeing some buds give out. I've had 3 or 4 buds turn a brown/yellow and die. You can see some needles also turning colour on some new growth that otherwise looks healthy.

Any info would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 20190529_111602.jpg
    20190529_111602.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 20190529_111505.jpg
    20190529_111505.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 121

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I had the same thing happening. At first everything seemed fine. Now it's dead.
In my case a major root disturbance killed it.
I should have kept it in the shade.

Not sure about yours, but it might be the same thing and you still have a week or so to take measures.

Fabledabel

Yamadori
Reaction score
I haven't done anything major root wise. But I will keep it in a shared area for sure. Do you have any experience identifying needle cast?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Keep it in full sun, well watered. All day sun, or else.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When were these initially potted? It looks like a roots issue. Typical to me for damaged roots due to pruning, repotting, ..

Fabledabel

Yamadori
Reaction score
When were these initially potted? It looks like a roots issue. Typical to me for damaged roots due to pruning, repotting, ..
Last repot was 2 years ago when they were pulled from the field

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Where do you live ? What kind of larch is it ?

Those buds dying are not a good sign, on my Larix-x-eurolepis they're usually a symtom of root rot and most of the time, the whole branch dies. Since Larch resent being repotted when they're in full leaves, there's nothing much to do except watch carefully when and how much you water them.

My 2 €cents worth...

PS: and on your second photo, I think that the wire is too big...

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Keep it in full sun,

Once again, what kind of larch is it?

From my experience, not all larch fare well in full sun in any environment.

My Dunkeld larch like 4-5 hours of full sun, not more. They suffer from sun scorch when in full sun and lose more lower branches than those in semi-shade : I don't live in the mountains where it is their natural environment, that's probably one of the reasons why.

Fabledabel

Yamadori
Reaction score

My Dunkeld larch like 4-5 hours of full sun, not more. They suffer from sun scorch when in full sun and lose more lower branches than those in semi-shade : I don't live in the mountains where it is their natural environment, that's probably one of the reasons why.

It is a Larix Larcinia or American Larch

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Then, I'll leave it to others to give you advice.

I know that some don't care a fig about scientific names, but what's a "cedar"? I mean, there are some common names in the US or elsewhere that don't mean a thing, like "my tree is sick, help me please". ;)

Fabledabel

Yamadori
Reaction score
.....when did you wire it.....
Just as it started to open up for the season. I noticed its beginning to dig in slightly

Then, I'll leave it to others to give you advice.

I know that some don't care a fig about scientific names, but what's a "cedar"? I mean, there are some common names in the US or elsewhere that don't mean a thing, like "my tree is sick, help me please". ;)

Ya thanks for pointing that out. Advice without all the knowledge is really just a shot in the dark.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Sorry, my Tamaracks like full sun. And they live in swampy areas, too. You can have yours, I'll keep mine...

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Did it by any chance get exposed to a late freeze? Nigel Saunders had that happen to some of his larch near you and had some buds die off. The tree has however put out some new buds and recovered. He showed that in a video a couple weeks ago.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry, my Tamaracks like full sun. And they live in swampy areas, too. You can have yours, I'll keep mine...

Can we see a photo of the area it's growing in that receives "full sun"? I understand you use a "heavy" organic mix, but I was curious about the amount of sun exposure your suggesting.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Tamarack is the Algonquian word that means, "tree that makes snowshoes"

Very poetic in a way, thanks for the info.

I don't know anyone growing Tamaracks in France, or even in Europe : the few ones cultivated as bonsaï must be grown from seeds, that are available online.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Very poetic in a way, thanks for the info.

I don't know anyone growing Tamaracks in France, or even in Europe : the few ones cultivated as bonsaï must be grown from seeds, that are available online.
Northern Michigan is lousy with 'em, but their southern limit is about 100 north of me. They do not like hot, humid summers. It is one of the most common bonsai forest subjects hereabouts, and the public loves them, too!.Tf FMG 2019_0325Meijer20190004.JPG

Top Bottom