Larch - club auction

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Its not the best but its functional. Big fingers drawing on a small screen dont work too well.

Green shapes are just to give you an idea of where the foliage should be, its not set in stone.

Notch up the first branch on right, train as individual tree. Wire all other branches down. Leave tons of jins!!

QuickMemo+_2015-06-27-09-54-25.png

And PS.. Can I own a larch here in zone 7b-8a?

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If possible you could also airlayer the top to make it shorter, and maybe even make a slanting from the bottom half.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Good solution - it's come on very well. Good stuff. However, I think it does need a back branch on that main trunk just to provide depth and stop my eye looking through the composition.

It's easy to graft branches on to Larch so the loss of those initial branches aren't the end of the world. I'm away now but can post some Larch grafts later.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hallo Dieter (or Klaus, or Hans, or any other name than "leatherback"),

I think you've done a very good job making the tree healthy again, congratulations.

But pardon me if I speak frankly : I don't like the first half of the main trunk at all. Too straight in comparison to the smaller trunk which has a nice movement. If it were mine, I'd wonder what option I could choose. :rolleyes:

My first idea was to jin out all the main trunk, leaving only the trunk on the left.

The second idea was to remove the small trunk on the left (or maybe jin it out) and the first branch on the right to make a kind of literati with the second branch on the right being the main branch.

It's a healthy tree now, but do you have a design in mind ?

An interesting problem : is less more ? Is it better to keep the two trunks ? I'm glad it's not mine because I would spend hours pondering.................. 😄

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it does need a back branch on that main trunk
I think so too. Just worried about a graft not taking and leaving a scar...

Hallo Dieter (or Klaus, or Hans, or any other name than "leatherback"),
Why? What is wrong with leatherback? But Jelle works too..

I don't like the first half of the main trunk at all. Too straight in comparison to the smaller trunk which has a nice movement.
I know..

is less more
not gonna happen. :) I like the contrast, even though it will never be a top tree.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think so too. Just worried about a graft not taking and leaving a scar...

Larch heal and thicken fast - that is a definite plus for grafting - the graft hole will be small too. If you drill from the side to the back it will be less visible from the front. You can easily stick on bark too. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

It does not look like you have enough length anyway to try next season for a thread graft. If you have any other stock and suitable length stems have a practice run through.

Top Bottom