6A
Larch Forest After Ice Storm (Updated)

qhlcBBb.jpg

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Guess you don't have to worry about frost anymore. Plenty of protection there.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is one of the most beautiful Bonsai pictures I have ever seen, it is striking! In Florida when it gets below freezing they coat the orange trees and strawberries with water to get an ice covering to protect the branching and the fruit.

ed

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It is a beauty shot!:)
I do hope you don't loose any branches, I lost my best branch on a larch from an ice storm...:(

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I am clueless but last I checked, it is snow that provides insulation...not ice.

You need to rethink that one too. In Florida, California and Texas they do indeed spray the groves with water to get ice to form. Ice does not get below 32* regardless of how cold the surrounding temperature is.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
You need to rethink that one too. In Florida, California and Texas they do indeed spray the groves with water to get ice to form. Ice does not get below 32* regardless of how cold the surrounding temperature is.

Actually, it's water that doesn't drop below 32F...until all of it is frozen. Water releases heat as it freezes...once all the water is frozen, no more heat is released...ice and ice covered vegetation will get colder if sub freezing temps persist. The reason to spray citrus and other freeze sensitive crops with water is to hopefully provide enough heat through freezing water until the sun rises the next day.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I left this tree exposed on the bench with no winter protection just to test its hardiness. The ice cover might provide some temporary protection from drying wind and dramatic temperature swings, but it has since melted. We will see what happens. I would never leave my better trees exposed like this because you never know what can happen.

And yes, as others have mentioned ice gets below 32 degrees F. If it were to somehow maintain that temperature while the surrounding air is -15, I would have to call that magic :)

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Repotted and Styled

I've spent a lot of time this spring working on this forest. It absolutely loved the frigid, icy, snow-blanketed winter and was ready for some changes in its life as a bonsai.

The first image is as I originally acquired the tree, spring 2013 and the second is today spring 2014. I am happy with the new image but of course there are some major issues. The farthest trunk on the right bothers me especially. I almost ripped it out but decided to think on it. I will take some time to ponder that and would be interested to hear others' opinions. Of course, adding some trunks could improve the image but it is not easy to simply add trunks to a forest that has been a bonsai for 10-15 years.

The slab is custom made by a local potter. The tallest tree is 29".

B54MSv3.jpg

32JOHTw.jpg

Last edited:

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
I really like this! Something about the gap in the middle is very pleasing...creating a pathway, inviting you in. I'm sure it was deliberate...awesome! The trunk on the far right doesn't bother me.
Thanks for posting,
Jonathan

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I really like this! Something about the gap in the middle is very pleasing...creating a pathway, inviting you in. I'm sure it was deliberate...awesome! The trunk on the far right doesn't bother me.
Thanks for posting,
Jonathan

I agree, I really like forests with groups within it because it creates the effect you describe above. Again, I didn't build this forest but I'm sure it was in the mind of the original owner.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its hard to see from the pictures, is it budded out already? If it is was that harder to wire without damaging the buds?

ed

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
I love it. The trunk on the right dosent bother me. I know crossing trunks are a no no, but it apears very natural to me.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
what a tremendous sight, all wired up and on that beautiful platform. Everything about it exudes the feeling of age and nature. My commendations for a very nice picture of trees in a natural setting.

Thank you!

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Its hard to see from the pictures, is it budded out already? If it is was that harder to wire without damaging the buds?

ed

The buds are swelling in the pictures but not open. When larch buds open it is unmistakable - the tree is covered in gem-like little green brushes. It is best to wire them before this stage which leaves a very narrow window for larch wiring.

Top Bottom