Larch freebie finally gets a pot

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I was given this as a present by someone I bought a tree off - it was probably 2 or 3 years old at most. It spent 4 years getting fat in the ground then I dug it up.

Some pics from various angles after being dug up and stuck in a 20cm pond basket, some big roots to contend with:
D_zps0cf63f8f by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

2014-03-02141925_zpsd14354c9 by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

bb_zpse03b25c1 by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

I took it to Corin's (Greenwood Bonsai - highly recommended) and he ordered a Walsall pot for it. We wired it out but I still wasn't happy with the image so, no guts, no glory, next weekend I got the branch splitters out and sheared the trunk down the middle and wedged it. It'll set by June or July. I then just used 3 branches to make the rest of the tree and wired them. The cascading character branch will be longer eventually. I'll probably root graft too if I can find some young Larch seedlings at the next boot fair - there are some heavy back roots. Here it is today... I think there's 3 years between first and last images... 71/2 inches high so it's shohin sized.

IMG_20180207_152707_DRO by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

Hmm maybe that back branch would be better placed doing a peek-a-boo through the gap or would it detract from the fact it's a split? I'll need to get some more akadama to top dress the DE - it's good to grow trees in but doesn't look the most attractive. They need to bring out an earth toned version

Last edited:

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The apex - is it needed or just the cascading branch? I could compress it down to 7 inches by forming the apex from the two top stems and not introducing another curve up there with the vertically placed branch. I should photograph my trees way more - you see things on it that you don't always do in RL.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Weird! It's baaaack!:confused:

Your design eye is much more keen than my own! But if I could say anything, I wonder if it would be more fluid if most of the branching could flow more to the viewers left?
Where the thickest wire is at the apex, I wonder if the area could be compressed some and moved slightly rearwards. It would need to be re-wired. And would raise the branch on the viewers right up a bit.
Is that kinda' your thoughts stated about the apex?

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Weird! It's baaaack!:confused:

Your design eye is much more keen than my own! But if I could say anything, I wonder if it would be more fluid if most of the branching could flow more to the viewers left?
Where the thickest wire is at the apex, I wonder if the area could be compressed some and moved slightly rearwards. It would need to be re-wired. And would raise the branch on the viewers right up a bit.
Is that kinda' your thoughts stated about the apex?

I want that split to be visible, it kinda makes this small guy memorable. If it flowed to the viewer's left it would obscure it.
All I wanted to do on the apex was bring the topmost branch down and form the apex using these two small branches. Raising the long branch would make it look younger IMO; I'm going for a tree battered by snow with it's trunk split & top sheared off. The tree has then used a side branch to start regrowing.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks,pretty cool.Although at first I agree with LanceMac10,after reconsidering I see the vision with the apex developing more on the right and getting that sort of 3 point aspect(off center triangle).
Great use of technique with the Jin and trunk splitting,I think it would have to take a considerable effort to make this tree look bad,as it fills with twigs will be killer!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I should have used "apex foliage" instead of the comically vague "most foliage"
And "if I could compress that thick bit of trunk below the crown, I can move this branch on the viewers right where I want it"

Not to obscure the split, just a little peek-a-boo I see you with the branching. Pretty much as you have it now.
I like how it stands with your proposed planting angle.

Juanmi

Mame
Reaction score
Wow, I'm impressed by how this little tree has grown. Very nice shape!
I would love to see it with the yellowing needles in autumn

Top Bottom