Larch in the fall

mc4mc44

Mame
Reaction score
Seeing all the larch threads reminded me that I forgot to post pictures of my larch back in the fall. Since it's winter i thought it would be a nice surprise for everyone to see some color again anyway. Theres also a picture of the japanese larch from the summer. Everything gets wired in the spring, the Japanese larch might get put into a real pot too.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 61

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks great.What zone of PA are you in.Are they all Japanese larch or do you have some others?

mc4mc44

Mame
Reaction score
Looks great.What zone of PA are you in.Are they all Japanese larch or do you have some others?
I'm in NE PA, in zone 5b. These pictures were taken a long time ago, everything is covered in snow right now. Ill post winter silhouette pictures once everything thaws out in spring. Only one is a Japanese larch, everything else was collected up in Vermont and bought from a dealer in NJ. They sat for two years for branch selection, root reduction, and to get nice and bushy. I bought the Japanese larch as a seedling four years ago, it's the tall one with the shari.

You can't tell from the pictures but the shari wraps all the way around the trunk on the Japanese larch from the roots to just below first branch. I'm going to continue it through the branches and widen it until i get the barber poll spiral like on some ponderosa pines. It'll be a unique larch, i haven't seen one like it yet. I just hope the deadwood lasts, it's not that old so it might rot quick. The branches will be pulled down tight to the trunk and a lot of space will be left between foliage pads, it will be a lot narrower than it is right now. The top will also be more rounded, it looks pointy now because a branch in the apex needed to thicken up and a wound needed to heal.

Nomad

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Great material! I especially like the tall-ish larch in the center of the first picture. Good luck! I am greatly anticipating collecting some larch myself this season, especially seeing some great larches around the forum lately.

Top Bottom