larch jin suggestions

koyote1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just got this Japanese Larch and went to work right away creating this jin, but I don't like the shape. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe take a pic of a quick sketch if it's not asking too much. I love twisting and zig zag branches. The branch was DEAD already! Read last thread at bottom of this page.

Last edited:

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
I just got this Japanese Larch and went to work right away creating this jin, but I don't like the shape. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe take a pic of a quick sketch if it's not asking too much. I love twisting and zig zag branches.

If you love twisted and zig zag branches you need to start off with them. You can't really carve a jin from a branch like you have and hope for it to last much time in the weather. The problem from taking a large branch like you have and carving movement in to it is you cut across annular rings of the wood and weaken the structure of the wood itself. Does that make sense?

You could evenly reduce the diameter of the branch (taking off the same amount all around it paying attention to the rings in the wood. Then you could wet the branch by wrapping a wet towel or like around it, cover that in aluminum foil and heat the whole mess, creating a steam box for the branch. Steaming it allows it to bend a whole lot easier but be aware - you will need gloves and a helper. Perhaps wiring it before steaming it will allow you to quickly bend it in shape after unwrapping the hot aluminum foil and rag. It will set in shape as it cools but considering it is still green wood the wire would keep it in place until time does what it does.

If you do the steam thing you will need to protect the tree or you may damage the live parts...

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Koyote, To start with we "try" and be up front and honest when some one shows something and asks an opinion. No sense in wasting your time and any contributors.

So saying that you have the proverbial stick in the pot. That I know you will develop into a wonderful tree :). My main concern is if you didn't shoot yourself in the foot by jinning that branch, that might have been a good choice for a lead to the apex. There looks like there was additional branches for you to work with to make a better canopy.

So that is a thing of the past and the question out there is jins. You may like a zig zag bolt of lightning type jin but is that what will enhance the tree. This particular tree doesn't have any zig zags in it so to artificially impose one at or near the top would look out of place and would stick out like a sore thumb. A twisting jin you might get away with visually if your heart is set on it. You can achieve this with "FIRE" :) My friend Graydon's method may work, it is a bit over the top for me;). You don't need to steam it. Cover the foliage with a damp cloth. Take a micro torch and heat the deadwood. This will liquify the resins in the tree. With a pair of jin pliers or everyday pliers gently twist the branch a little at a time letting each section cool as you go. Repeat this till you achieve the look you want. The jin will take an instant set when the resins cool. This method is fast and efficient and will sooth the itch for instant gratification. Any charing can be removed with a scotch bright or fine grit sand paper. What discoloring thats left will make your lime sulphur application even more convincing as it will take on a more grayish hue than stark white. Graydon's safety instructions should be taken to heart no matter what method you use. Remember that you have one shot at it....don't make a treebaque out of your larch.

I think the real question here is does that long jin fit the tree. My opinion is no, while I like large jins in the right place on the right tree. This one I'm sorry to say just doesn't work , at least for me. A short jin suggesting that some thing was there at one time would be more interesting. I did a virt suggesting this. I'm pretty lousy at virts but should get the idea across. I think you need to bring the foliage back as well and start with a compact basic design and build from that point.

Good luck with the tree.

Last edited:

koyote1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My Larch jin

I forgot to mention an important detail( I'm new to this forum thing). The branch was DEAD when I bought it on saturday. I simply stripped it, sanded, torched, bondo-ed, shellaced it, buffed it, limed it, and now I hate it. If cutting it down to 1", one sixteenth at a time is what it takes-so be it. Thanks Tom. ps. Tom Brown Jr. is a professor of mine-I'm a Tracker.

Top Bottom