Larch Progression, 5 years

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
No I have not tried it but I will not discount the technique until I have seen it, or done it myself. I don't remember who adheres to this, could have been Fourteener but he took his base ball and glove and went home. So now we probably wont know until and if,--- he comes back.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No I have not tried it but I will not discount the technique until I have seen it, or done it myself. I don't remember who adheres to this, could have been Fourteener but he took his base ball and glove and went home. So now we probably wont know until and if,--- he comes back.

Something else to try! Going to find out how much a larch can take this year. I'm betting a lot.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A thread started by HotAction mentioned something along those lines. I believe Crust suggested defoliation. Have not found that thread as of yet. Sounds interesting.

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A thread started by HotAction mentioned something along those lines. I believe Crust suggested defoliation. Have not found that thread as of yet. Sounds interesting.

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With respect to defoliation and larch, I have not done it.

I might ask why?

Defoliation that I understand for trident/Japanese maple has the purpose for smaller leaves, better autumn color. Candle cutting for black/red pine has the purpose of ramification and shorter needles.

With the Japanese larch I have worked with, have small leaves/needles and ramify beautifully with standard clip and grow technique.

Maybe there is something more for me to learn?

Top Bottom