Larch progression and help needed

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This seems to be the year of the larch. I've never seen so many larches posted before. Well, I'm no different. I have one that I purchased this spring, a Larix decidua, European weeping larch. After work done this spring, I am now faced with a lot of coarse growth that I'm not sure what to do with, if anything. I'm most concerned about the new branches sprouting, long and coarse. Should I prune them, or leave them be until next year?

I pruned leaving 2 to 3 active buds on each branch. The long branch had active buds far from the trunk. After pruning, I pulled the plant out of the pot and sawed an inch or two off the bottom of the root ball, and pruned off the circling roots. I then bare rooted the top third or so of the root ball and back filled with bonsai soil. So, a lot of work has been done already. Not sure if I should now leave it be, or prune the new foliage.

The first photo is as purchased, minus the top that I broke off. Second is after pruning, third is new growth, fourth is of long, coarse growth.

20180325_124354.jpg20180325_124726.jpg20180521_094615.jpg20180602_152037.jpg

Top Bottom