Larch Progression

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
April 2015. I cut the top back to a new leader and selected a new leader that I'll let grow

IMG_1946.JPG
this is the stump i cut off i think 22 rings:
IMG_1941.JPG
started a second trunk:
IMG_1949.JPG
and wiring:
IMG_1947.JPG
IMG_1948.JPG

Last edited:

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
dammit! did not know larch could be root grafted. I just let go of a great tree that would've been a lot nice with two of those

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm curious about the root grafts as well. Looks like you just did them this month, have you tried before? If so, what was the success rate?

I've never tried this on larch but I have tried thread grafts. Did 2, one may have taken but I haven't "separated" it yet. The other failed because
I accidentally cut the feeder side when pruning last year :mad:

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree and Im happy to see someone trying some root grafts on a Larch. I have plans for root grafting a Larch this spring as well. Will be crossing my fingers for yours and mine.

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you start the root grafts this year?
Yes. I attached the root grafts when I did the repot.

Good job & hope the grafts take. Looks like a good project tree.
So do I @Paulpash fingers crossed.

Nice larch! Was this a collected tree?
Yes think it was collected from somewhere in wales.

I'm curious about the root grafts as well. Looks like you just did them this month, have you tried before? If so, what was the success rate?
I've never tried root grafts on a Larch myself so we'll see together if they take or not.

Nice tree and Im happy to see someone trying some root grafts on a Larch. I have plans for root grafting a Larch this spring as well. Will be crossing my fingers for yours and mine.
Thanks will be crossing my fingers these take as well.

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
An update on this. (June 2020) - All the grafts had almost swallowed the screws and grafting nails so decided to cut them all except one. They all seemed to have fused with the tree but well see for sure when I repot this spring:

f6d5ba8e731da3b92dfe3bc7885e0fc74bb80944.jpg

IMG_5354.jpg

IMG_5355.jpg

IMG_5361.jpg

And this is the one I left on for now as it was getting shaded out by one of the lower branches and didn't grow as strong:
IMG_5357.jpg

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My feeling is its got too many branches but kept them all for now

Top Bottom