Larch question(s)...

silvertab

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Got an American larch in the discount bin at the nursery, right now it's more or less what I would call a whip... approx. 1" trunk thickness at the base, and about 4 feet in height... It has a nice amount of lower branches (and a decent amount of branch overall), but clearly it has seen better days (hence the discount bin).

I obviously would like to reduce the height of the tree by at least half, probably more... I was wondering when the right period to do that would be? Right now the tree basically falls over as soon as there's a tiny gust of wind so it's a bit annoying... It's also in pretty bad soil, in a 1 gallon nursery pot so I'd like to put it in a bigger pot and in good soil eventually (but I think right now is probably not the right time?)

Would appreciate any info on when I should trunk-chop it, and ideally, when I should put it in better soil (or any other useful info about american larches as it's my first one!)

Here's a picture of the whip. There might not be much I can end up doing with, but I got it for half price (~$9CAD) so *shrugs*
IMG_2528.jpg

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
I have a number of larches but they were all collected which was done in the early spring. I usually did a preliminary chop when I dug them up and nothing else until the next spring. Never had any problems. They are really resilient. I suspect chopping now would do no harm but why not just put it in the ground - pot and all - and wait until spring.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Larches can take most punishment without even flinching. What do you hope to design with this tree? Do you just want to have a tree to work on right now, cause you can use it as your test subject. I am not far from Montréal, and I chop up larches in my garden all throughout the season.

silvertab

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Larches can take most punishment without even flinching. What do you hope to design with this tree? Do you just want to have a tree to work on right now, cause you can use it as your test subject. I am not far from Montréal, and I chop up larches in my garden all throughout the season.

Not quite sure what I want to do with the tree at this point, my main concern is really to keep it from falling over all the time :D

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Repot in spring when the buds swell
I wire and style my larch in winter and prune it back troughout the season to keep the growth in close!

Dont rush it take your time you can only chop or prune once!

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I would slip pot into something bigger now. Dont disturb the roots just get it into a larger can with some good draining substrate. Chop now, larch will usually push new growth well thru summer, just leave a fair amount of branches with green on them. And all energy will be directed to them instead of the top which you wont be using anyways.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I was wondering when the right period to do that would be?

I don't have "American larch" (Tamarack, Larix laricina ?), but for European (Larix decidua, Larix x eurolepis) and Japanese larch (Larix kaempferi) :

- the best time to repot is just before budbreak.
- pruning can be done in autumn to late winter, but when it's done when the tree is in full leaves (end of spring, beginning of summer), healing is better, like on other deciduous trees, even if the larch is a conifer.

Actually, I think larch, at least the ones we can grow here, are more like other deciduous than conifers in many ways, for instance, pinching new shoots, rather than decandling or removing needles, leaving dormant buds that will grow on opposite sides of the branch, etc.

silvertab

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I did the trunk chop as the tree just wasn't standing despite my best efforts... I figure it would redirect the tree's energy in places that will be more useful, very much like Soldano mentioned! I think I'll slip pot it in a basket or colander and leave it be for now!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where did you chop? How much of the foliage was removed? Tree will be using a lot less water now, at least until a significant amount of new growth gets going. I might be inclined to just leave it in the current container and not mess with the root system at all until the spring.

silvertab

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Where did you chop? How much of the foliage was removed? Tree will be using a lot less water now, at least until a significant amount of new growth gets going. I might be inclined to just leave it in the current container and not mess with the root system at all until the spring.

I'd say about 30-40% of the foliage was removed with the chop... it's been a couple of days now and the tree appears to be fine for now (new shoots showing up, and I feel like the remaining foliage is already starting to look denser). I'm fine with just leaving it in that pot for now really!

Top Bottom