Larch question

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I just picked up a pretty nice older larch at the nursery today. It's a bit raggy, but has nice trunk size, and decent nebari. I know I probably should not mess with repotting and root pruning now as it already totally green, but is it ok to branch prune this time of year and then wait until early spring before repot? Also, there is a little bare area on the trunk with no branching. Will these bud back in that area if I'm lucky?
The tree is 24" tall from soil to top. Thanks for advice. Peter

Attachments

• IMG_0556.jpg
    IMG_0556.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0557.jpg
    IMG_0557.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0555.jpg
    IMG_0555.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 129

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just picked up a pretty nice older larch at the nursery today. It's a bit raggy, but has nice trunk size, and decent nebari. I know I probably should not mess with repotting and root pruning now as it already totally green, but is it ok to branch prune this time of year and then wait until early spring before repot? Also, there is a little bare area on the trunk with no branching. Will these bud back in that area if I'm lucky?
If you plan a major repot in the spring, there is an advantage to fertilize and retain additional foliage to strengthen the tree and store additional energy for next year!
So that might affect your pruning decisions, at least the overall amount this year.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Larch need their foliage mass to cool themselves down. If you cut back they may suffer because they cannot stay cool. Be careful. Watch Peter Warren's recent video on larch on his YouTube channel Saruyama Bonsai. It is focused on Japanese larch but I think what he says applies to our species as well. I have heard Ryan Neil say the same thing abiut American larch.

Jorgens86

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And no. Do not hope for a bud in the bare zone. WOrk around it.
[/QUOTE]
Well. If the tree is very strong it can bud back on branch.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hmm, i have a lot of young Larches and they actually bud back like crazy after i chopped them, i left them with some active growing low branches, below the chop.

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
Your larch really looks like a spruce to me! Previous year needles in there? Two flushes of growth in one season? I might just need new glasses, heh heh!

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If larch is prunned correctly you might get 3 or even more flushes of growth in 1 year.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hmm, i have a lot of young Larches and they actually bud back like crazy after i chopped them, i left them with some active growing low branches, below the chop.
Young is a relative term. Backbudding on young stock, especially on branches is common enough but as they bark over it is unreliable. One of the main reasons you have to remove branches as they age is they cannot backbud and become increasingky tip dominant. Peter discusses this issue in his video. Yes it is over an hour long but worth the time, and free advice from an expert.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
In the mountains here, lots of little trees of all kinds grow along the road. The road Dept comes along every 2-3 years with a big mower on a hydraulic arm that mows everything down. Yes the little larches (Western) go crazy with new growth at the chop.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I will try to get a photo over the weekend, and i agree, mine dont have mature bark, they are maybe 4 years old i think maybe 5.

Bman7689

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That is an american larch yes? I'm having a hard time deciding which larch I want to get myself.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Tamarack, the Eastern Larch, larix larcina, is a lowland tree of damp footing that hates hot and hates high humidity. In Michigan, its native southern reach is about the city of Midland. The further south from about that lattitude, 43.6°N, the more problematic they become. I know very good bonsaiists in northern Indiana that have given up. I don't know anything about the Western Larch, but I believe it's very different.

Bman7689

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm in 5b in chicago area so I guess that one is not for me lol. Thank you for the info.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm in 5b in chicago area so I guess that one is not for me lol. Thank you for the info.
There are other varieties and someone who knows about them should chime in pretty soon...

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
We have the Western Larch here. I am in a 5B also. You're new to this so should advise you that just because it says a tree will stand a certain low temp, does not at all mean that it will, in a bonsai pot, in the wind. In fact a higher temp with wicked winds are absolute killers. IMO, you have to protect, mulch on the ground next to the house or something. If you spend the time and money on a tree don't make it be a contest to see if the trees can survive certain low temps. A lot of trees have to experience winter temps for a period of time to do well, but watch below 10 degrees with any winds if they are not protected. Why the hell did I go into all of that anyway:)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why the hell did I go into all of that anyway

Learning!

I think it's important to note that, well, first I didn't know Chicago had a 5B. If it does, it is as different a 5B from yours as can be!
Not just apples and oranges ....
Maybe Cherry and Banana.

That's for @Bman7689 , also, I've seen Japanese Larch at The Hidden Gardens. Jeff could probly help you keep them alive here.

Sorce

Top Bottom