Larch Ramification

CrisisM0de

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello again!

I have just a quick -- possibly annoying -- question about my larch. I say possibly annoying because I know its been discussed and I may have even asked myself, but the 'artist's paintbrush' thing doesn't make much sense to me and I seem to read some conflicting points of view. So, I have a little collection of larch. I am going to try to keep a few of them quite small. My understanding is that I can prune these new shoots back to a bud and this will encourage the new buds to grow? And this will get me ramification this year? I am basing this on the buds turning gold on these new shoots.

I tried some light pruning last year during the growing season and nothing really happened at all in terms of ramification, but I think I did it much earlier in the season.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg6.jpg4.jpg

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 14

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I can't offer specific advice on ramification in larch but, in general, ramification seems to start very slow then increases exponentially. Often the first couple of years there appears to be little or no increase but keep at it and suddenly you'll need to start thinning out.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hello again!

I have just a quick -- possibly annoying -- question about my larch. I say possibly annoying because I know its been discussed and I may have even asked myself, but the 'artist's paintbrush' thing doesn't make much sense to me and I seem to read some conflicting points of view. So, I have a little collection of larch. I am going to try to keep a few of them quite small. My understanding is that I can prune these new shoots back to a bud and this will encourage the new buds to grow? And this will get me ramification this year? I am basing this on the buds turning gold on these new shoots.

I tried some light pruning last year during the growing season and nothing really happened at all in terms of ramification, but I think I did it much earlier in the season.

View attachment 445692View attachment 445687View attachment 445688View attachment 445691View attachment 445689
Hi, here’s my take. Hopefully others can wade into this. And yes there are a few threads on pinching etc.
When the growth looks like a paint brush like only 2-3 weeks after bud break and following flushes, you pluck out the middle as it is really soft. Because you pluck it, you keep the internodes short and 1-3 dormant buds have already formed.
After the pinching/pulling the paintbrush the larch will continue to expand but not stretch. It does take awhile, like 4-6 weeks sort of, for another flush to grow. Then you apply the same theory. I usually get 3-4 flushes of growth, eg. 3-4 times of ramification, where you will probably only get 2.
@leatherback, do you have a picture? Or others?
Charles

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"ramification" is one of the most coveted (as in sin) and misunderstood concept in bonsai.

We view it as a "must" and that "must" tends to lead us towards ugly, or poorer than could be, design.

It's a concept that is hard to shake as a newb, one that shows it's face in this idea of "doing bonsai the same wrong way for 40 years".

We put the achievement of "backbudding" and "ramification" over what patience provides in terms of GOOD BRANCH STRUCTURE.

From this thread.

A @leatherback tree with a couple years between utilizing a constant (stated) "paintbrush"(assumed) pruning.
20200314_10.jpg
20180408_10.JPG

And a @ralf pad where growth is not trimmed until buds show so one can choose directionality of new shoots. (May/June).
35_w.jpg

I would appreciate a top down photo of the first, and an update on the second.
This may aid in clearing up some of the differences that make these quite "apples and oranges" still as far as comparing them ......

But I largely prefer the wonderful structure of the ralf branch. TAPER!

I think everyone would prefer the leatherback tree, which leads us to want to follow the constant pruning method.
51_w.jpg
20180408_10.JPG

That's the devil detail that keeps us foolish.

Though people may not prefer the ralf tree, they have to see he is doing excellent work to make use of what that tree is offering.

That said, I think the leatherback tree would be much better with the ralf branch structure. Which is obviously not full of "long internodes" as is stated he would have by not constantly pruning.

In conclusion.

"Perfect", will likely come from using all the tools and methods available, depending on the state of each branch/section, end goals, etc.

In the beginning of this lil research/figuring, I was thinking these larches, like anything with a recommendation of "constant pruning", are products of impatience. A little weak, and ramified with no taper. Pom pom destiny.
I believe it now.

Can't know for sure unless these owners add more pics, old and new, and speak a bit more of what they are doing. I think both can benefit from combining forces.

I don't understand how we believe removing energy add thickness.

I believe the growth rate, ie; fertilizer, water, general health and growing conditions, is what determines what side of the actual difference a tree lands on of this concept......

If a part is removed, time continues, during that time we lose thickness adding. Then after the new stuff grows, thickening resumes. A fast growing tree may overcome that loss of thickening time. (Sounds like lots of chemical fert)
Slow growing things may not.

It is our absolute inability to perfectly estimate and describe to each other what this growth rate is, that leaves methods working for one and not another. So a description of fert and other practices may help us to figure it out.

As it stands though....the slow game branch structure is superior.

Seems a tree we work a year early out of impatience which slows an excellent design.
Many are like this....people and trees.

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Spring 2021, 2021 summer pre-prune, postprune and 2021 fall.

I do not care whether you like my trees or not. I do not think it is appropriate to take someone elses pictures to show how things should not be done without asking. Not OK.

20210403-R14A5222-108.jpg

20210513-R14A5390.jpg

20210815-R14A5773.jpg

20211127-R14A6050.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Obviously I'm saying they need to make tangerines.
Why don't you worry about how YOU grow trees, before you bring in other peoples trees to "show your expertise".
Once again. It is NOT OK to start taking pictures of trees of someone else and then guessing how they manage them, and criticizing.
Uncalled for, and rude.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why don't you worry about how YOU grow trees, before you bring in other peoples trees to "show your expertise".
Once again. It is NOT OK to start taking pictures of trees of someone else and then guessing how they manage them, and criticizing.
Uncalled for, and rude.
I tend to agree with @leatherback here @sorce . You may have been complimenting @leatherback tree. But I certainly couldn’t tell. your roundabout way of explaining things leaves the matter very ambiguous. If you have direct experience with Larch, show it.

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello again!

View attachment 445692View attachment 445687View attachment 445688View attachment 445691View attachment 445689
Hi,

I have a little video on pruning larch here:

THere are multiple strategies. If you let the branches grow, they grow thicker quickly, which is a good reason for regular pruning. When you pull the growing tips in the paintbrush stage, you over time create clumps of buds in the same spot, which is a reason to not just pull the growing tips, but also letting branches grow out. I am currently letting branches grow till the stage you see in the video. Then after pruning, maybe 3-4 weeks later I get all sorts of growth along the branch, also further back. These I tip-prune regularly, effectively not letting them extend more than an inch or two. Will try and think to take a picture of one of my larches today.

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
Washington DC. DC ARBORETUM IS BEHIND MY HOUSE!
Hi,

I have a little video on pruning larch here:

THere are multiple strategies. If you let the branches grow, they grow thicker quickly, which is a good reason for regular pruning. When you pull the growing tips in the paintbrush stage, you over time create clumps of buds in the same spot, which is a reason to not just pull the growing tips, but also letting branches grow out. I am currently letting branches grow till the stage you see in the video. Then after pruning, maybe 3-4 weeks later I get all sorts of growth along the branch, also further back. These I tip-prune regularly, effectively not letting them extend more than an inch or two. Will try and think to take a picture of one of my larches today.
Great video! I assume this is Spring post flush hardened prune, but growth did not look hardened off to me? Are my eyeballs broken or is this the right time to do the work?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great video! I assume this is Spring post flush hardened prune, but growth did not look hardened off to me? Are my eyeballs broken or is this the right time to do the work?
Not sure I understand your question?

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
Washington DC. DC ARBORETUM IS BEHIND MY HOUSE!
Not sure I understand your question?
Always thought you should wait for growth to harden off before pruning. Gain energy back then trim was my understanding. The growth the gentleman who hates turntables was trimming looked very light green and not hardened off yet. I am trying to find the right time to do the early summer trimming, based on the foliage of the tree. Still trying to get a handle on this scope of work.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Constant little pruning makes for constant shallow backbuds.
Less frequent large pruning makes for less frequent deeper backbuds.

Do these pictures convey a different truth?

The results are subjective, if you are sad about how a tree looks, you must agree with my opinion on the assessment.

The assessment laid out in this place where we come for experience.

Now I know what thin skin looks like through lacey panties, not that I needed that kinda experience from here, but education is education, thanks!

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gain energy back then trim was my understanding. The growth the gentleman who hates turntables was trimming looked very light green and not hardened off yet.
I think it is good to understand the different methods and timings are based on what you want to achieve, and the moment in the year.

The more you let larch growth elongate, the more thickening you get. If you do not intent to let the branches thicken too much, it is better to not let the larch grow out too much. So I let them grow 15, 20 cm in spring to make sure I also have good root activity going. Then I prune back. Because I have this growth all over the tree, I know the tree is very healthy and the tree will have no issues. Left unpruned I would get 1-2 ft extensions, with up to an inch thickening, which is not what I want for bonsai. The bits that are left behind typically have 2-3 young buds and most of the time 2 of these will open and start extending that year.

Throughout the year I subsequently remove the growing tips as they start to extend. This way I balance extension and ramification. Over the second half of summer growth slows down, and then I allow the tree to do its thing, and I have short young branches to work with in winter, as below.

Over time you will find that your branches get too long and thick, and that is when you make deeper cuts into the canopy to side-branches, creating taper and increasing movement in the branches.
1657364230259.png

If you look at my website, you can find this image, and description:

1657363968750.png

Let’s take a look at this lower branch. It was last wired 2 years ago. There is still a supporting wire around the main branch, ensuring it sets properly in shape. That wire was replaced in winter 2020/2021 as the original wire was being enveloped by the thickening branch. Over summer, the extending your growth has been pruned to encourage sire-branches. The thin brown branches are all growth from this year (See annotated 2021 growth). The more greyish branches are older. Pruning back the new branches to the branch profile, leaving roughly 2 new buds on each branch results in a perfectly fine pad.

Top Bottom