Larch root work

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My experience is that younger larch can be treated more like deciduous, tolerating a decent amount of root work. Late winter / early spring is a great window. Look for swelling buds with a bit of green in the center. If needles have opened and extended it’s probably on the late side.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My experience is that younger larch can be treated more like deciduous, tolerating a decent amount of root work. Late winter / early spring is a great window. Look for swelling buds with a bit of green in the center. If needles have opened and extended it’s probably on the late side.
This is spot on. I have noticed that most small conifers, evergreen or deciduous, can tolerate a lot of root work when young. Of course overdoing it will slow its development considerably.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bare rooted or not, I question your timing.
I'm not doing it now, I'd be doing it in early spring.
This is spot on. I have noticed that most small conifers, evergreen or deciduous, can tolerate a lot of root work when young. Of course overdoing it will slow its development considerably.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Watch Nigel Saunders Binzai Zone YouTube videos on his various larch. He has shown many times how he bare roots them, reduces roots, and lays them out radially.

Top Bottom