Larch seedlings

Crimsontide1970

Seedling
Reaction score
I recently purchased 100 Japanese larch seedlings. I want to develop the trunks for group plantings and for newbies that want a bonsai. I was planning to plant them in 4” pots using a modified Boon mix for a couple of years then plant over a tile and using the escape method to gain girth. This works well with Japanese maples and elms with trunk development of 2-3 inches in 5 yrs. Has anyone tried this with larch or have another recommendation. I live in the Pacific Northwest

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I recently purchased 100 Japanese larch seedlings. I want to develop the trunks for group plantings and for newbies that want a bonsai. I was planning to plant them in 4” pots using a modified Boon mix for a couple of years then plant over a tile and using the escape method to gain girth. This works well with Japanese maples and elms with trunk development of 2-3 inches in 5 yrs. Has anyone tried this with larch or have another recommendation. I live in the Pacific Northwest
Depending on their current size, they may not last in 4 inch pots for more than a year. I found them to be quit vigorous and they welcomed heavy feeding.. The seedlings I acquired were ready to transplant after just one year on my bench. Never did know how old they were when I bought them.
This year I'm trying to grow some from seed with the hope it will give me more of a feel for the actual growth rate.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I agree with Coppersdad, they won’t be in 4” pots for long. These guys need lots of water and they grow roots and branches and foliage fast. I started with mine in 4” pots last spring and they filled the pots fast and grew so much foliage that by August I lost 3 due to heat stress. They fill the pots with roots that suck up water and put it out the needles. Ryan Neil says that is part of larch cooling physiology. So you need to have enough soil to provide for space for the roots and water volume. I am putting mine in 8” bulb pans this spring and keeping them in partial shade to reduce the heat and water stress over the summer.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
using the escape method

What exactly do you mean by "the escape method"?

Anyway, I suppose that out of the 100, some are smaller and other bigger than the average lot. So if you want to develop group planting, or "forsts", I would put the smaller ones in smaller pots and the bigger ones in bigger pots so as to get trees with different girth...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What exactly do you mean by "the escape method"?

Anyway, I suppose that out of the 100, some are smaller and other bigger than the average lot. So if you want to develop group planting, or "forsts", I would put the smaller ones in smaller pots and the bigger ones in bigger pots so as to get trees with different girth...

Lol...I went searching for that term and came up with your post.

I think I hear it all the time and associate it with roots escaping I'm the ground....but...
As always ....

It could mean a thousand things!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Crimsontide1970

Seedling
Reaction score
I’m glad I asked the question. It probably saved me from repotting in late summer. I usually heavy feed all my trees except for pine. Then I follow Ryan Neil advice (works well in the PNW). Maybe I should start with the 8” bulb pots. Then sort and repot some possible main trees in Anderson pots (17x17x4”) over tile in a year or two. I usually let the root escape ( escape method) until I get the girth I wanted. Sounds like I can make a smaller forest in 4-5 yeasts and larger in 7-8. 2-3 years faster than Japanese maples and elms here. That’s a lot of soil sifting I need to do.... my back hurts already. I probably need to prepare more space both bench and ground. Starting the heavy work early this year.

Crimsontide1970

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you to all that replied it is much appreciated

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
BTW where did you get 100 seedlings? I have been getting mine from a nursery in Oregon in Wash but not in large quantities. I need a few more this yesr it replace the ones that died on me so having a second source would be helpful.

Crimsontide1970

Seedling
Reaction score
I went in with a gentleman who was reforesting some land. We got them from brooks tree farm in Oregon. I m not sure what the minimum is but they usually sell in bundles of 100.

Crimsontide1970

Seedling
Reaction score
Larches are arriving tomorrow. Still trying to root prune my other trees, plum crabapple, elm and maples are already leafing out

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There's a hole in my computer. The answer to the question about, "I usually let the root escape ( escape method) until I get the girth I wanted." doesn't appear on my screen. Do I need a wider screen?

Top Bottom