Larch styling and problems advice

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So I picked up a japanese larch (Larix Kaempferi Haverbeck) and had a plan to do structural pruning over winter. Here is a picture of the full tree right now.
View attachment 447241
There is one main problem for this tree and that it has reverse taper because 1) its been grafted onto european larch root stock and 2) because theres a lower branch that was allowed to grow out causing a bulge where the graft was created.
View attachment 447243
You can see thr graft is in this shape.
View attachment 447244

My plan was to cut it here, this would fix my reverse taper problem, and help me gain proper taper.
View attachment 447245

My questions are 1.) Is this a good idea to fix my problem? (Safe for the tree, and also safe to cut into the graft like this)
And 2.) If it is a good idea should this be performed over 2 winters? This cut would remove 90% of the tree, so would it be better to remove 50% of that this winter, let the bottom branch get stronger over next summer, and then finish off the chop? (The bottom branch is about 9 to 10" long)

View attachment 447246

Also, this is my first larch, so any tips and tricks from people that have experience with larch is greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi

I think you've learnt the problem already - never buy grafted trees which can't be airlayered.

I would absolutely not remove the trunkline that you indicated - it will not improve anything. Reverse taper is blown up in many peoples minds for some reason while MANY high quality trees have it and it's hidden.

I would personally wire the trunk (big FAT wire...and wrap it first - in autumn when the needles are gone) and wrestle that lower trunk into a significant curve.

This achieves several things:
  1. you can curve the inverse taper around to the BACK of the tree where it will not be seen and can't irritate you
  2. you can lower the point where the first foliage starts - even hiding the graft and scar
  3. you can potentially create a more natural transition from trunk the first branch.
  4. you can further add MORE movement to the trunk and primary branch.
Wrapped and wired
03254873 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Just wired
IMG_2211 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

You can go as far as you want when they are young enough
IMG_5212 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

If you leave wire on it digs in and causes massive trunk swelling
IMG_2279 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Top Bottom