Larch Wiring Question

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just acquired my first couple of Larches, still very young not much older and larger than a whip (they have a number of branches). I knew about how flexible Larch are so I did some pretty twisty wiring to take advantage of their young age and bendiness.

I don't doubt that if they grow well this spring heading into summer that the wire could start to cut in before too long. But what I'm not sure about is how long I should leave the wire on to ensure they at least mostly retain their new shapes. I imagine nothing will really lignify for some time yet.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I just acquired my first couple of Larches, still very young not much older and larger than a whip (they have a number of branches). I knew about how flexible Larch are so I did some pretty twisty wiring to take advantage of their young age and bendiness.

I don't doubt that if they grow well this spring heading into summer that the wire could start to cut in before too long. But what I'm not sure about is how long I should leave the wire on to ensure they at least mostly retain their new shapes. I imagine nothing will really lignify for some time yet.
You don't want to keep the wire on as it cuts into the trunk, those marks will last for years; unless you allow the tree to swallow the wire then that's a different story.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi Vance, thanks, I understand that I want to watch for trunk growth and avoid having the wire cut in due to the scarring it will cause.

But what I'm looking for is how long it might take for the trunk to set in the new shape I've bent it to. I know some trees don't set quickly and I imagine that might be the case with Larch since they are so flexible when young.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
May take a few wirings. Yes go wild, but watch it as it will mark and won't grow out easily... strange rubbery bastards they are..

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
May take a few wirings. Yes go wild, but watch it as it will mark and won't grow out easily... strange rubbery bastards they are..
Thanks Victorim. I'll be prepared for the possibility that they may not set in one wiring.

And I also know that as a tree grows out you can see some of your curves soften over time.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks Victorim. I'll be prepared for the possibility that they may not set in one wiring.

And I also know that as a tree grows out you can see some of your curves soften over time.

Pop some pics. will be clearer for all :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
You should keep it on until there is a decent amount of biting in, it will likely be a long term project anyway so the wire scars wont be visible in the future. Don't let it bite in to the point where it becomes hard to get out of the trunk though.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pop some pics. will be clearer for all :)

I snapped a couple photos when I did the wiring, they may not be the best, but here's one for reference.

I know that the wiring would have been FAR easier and better timed to do it before they leafed out, but I only just bought them last weekend and wanted to get some wire on them ASAP. It was tough being delicate and working around the foliage.
IMG_20180409_122716193_HDR.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I snapped a couple photos when I did the wiring, they may not be the best, but here's one for reference.

I know that the wiring would have been FAR easier and better timed to do it before they leafed out, but I only just bought them last weekend and wanted to get some wire on them ASAP. It was tough being delicate and working around the foliage.
View attachment 186518
Strange photo. Do you have a front insyeaf of a top?

Just watch the tree and remove the wire when you see the tree is about to swell into the wire. If the tree is vigourous, mid spring could be likely.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When you look at the wire on the tree, if the wire starts to look “flat” ongbe bottom, it’s cutting in. Time to take it off! And rewire.

On most conifers, wire is always on the tree. It’s not a “do it once” kind of thing. It’s more of a “mow the grass” kind of thing! Ongoing maintenance!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I don't mean to be snarky but it seems all of you new guys think the best angle to photo a tree from is from the top looking down. When you go to see a display of trees do you bring a ladder so that you can look down on the tops of the larger trees? This is not google maps. Take pictures from the same view point you hop to design the tree from.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't mean to be snarky but it seems all of you new guys think the best angle to photo a tree from is from the top looking down. When you go to see a display of trees do you bring a ladder so that you can look down on the tops of the larger trees? This is not google maps. Take pictures from the same view point you hop to design the tree from.
I've gotten to where I don't comment on those trees and the ones in the thumbnails.
Use the full image option people.

Top Bottom