Large Amur Maple

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Did you get a permit or other permission from the appropriate park authority to collect this tree? It harms public perception of the hobby when people collect trees without going through the proper channels and can make it harder for others to collect in the future because the officials in charge of managing these natural resources may get a negative impression of bonsai people as lacking respect for their conservation authority. Later on, when someone comes along, follows protocol, and asks nicely they get told, “No, we don’t allow that,” because the park ranger remembers the time when someone took a tree in the middle of the night and left a big open hole in the ground that the city had to send a crew out to fill in, etc. Basically, don’t be that guy. There can also be legal issues if you’re caught collecting without permission.
How stupid/rude to make an open comment like that in your accusatory manner!

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've collected in fall, put them in the ground, kept a batch in the garage , fridge. If going in fridge I recommend 90 days not moistened. Then add moisture, keep in fridge 30 more days. I grabbed some remaining seeds off the tree this spring, they germinated quickly after planting

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've collected in fall, put them in the ground, kept a batch in the garage , fridge. If going in fridge I recommend 90 days not moistened. Then add moisture, keep in fridge 30 more days. I grabbed some remaining seeds off the tree this spring, they germinated quickly after planting
Thanks makes sense most cold hardy trees germinate easy once giving the chance . My seed may have been older who knows how long on tree . About 120 to 150 seeds I got nothing 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ So will start with fresh seed this fall thanks for the info

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How stupid/rude to make an open comment like that in your accusatory manner!
I take the view that it should always be explicitly mentioned that proper authorization was obtained when one talks about collecting trees. It’s necessary for the bonsai community to police our own in this respect because it only takes a handful of people going about collecting the wrong way in order to permanently screw it up for everyone. So, I’m not going to apologize for calling people out about making sure to explicitly state that they did obtain proper permissions. It should be normal practice to always state this, thus setting a positive example for people new to the hobby so everyone collects responsibly. If you don’t state it, I assume you didn’t do it.

In medical research, it is required by every credible scientific journal that each and every paper contain an explicit statement that the research was subjected to review by the governing ethical review body for the institution and the research was approved prior to being conducted. If someone tries to submit a paper to a journal and it lacks such a statement, the default assumption of the editor will be that no such ethical review was performed and the paper will be automatically rejected for publication. This is as it should be.

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I take the view that it should always be explicitly mentioned that proper authorization was obtained when one talks about collecting trees. It’s necessary for the bonsai community to police our own in this respect because it only takes a handful of people going about collecting the wrong way in order to permanently screw it up for everyone. So, I’m not going to apologize for calling people out about making sure to explicitly state that they did obtain proper permissions. It should be normal practice to always state this, thus setting a positive example for people new to the hobby so everyone collects responsibly. If you don’t state it, I assume you didn’t do it.

In medical research, it is required by every credible scientific journal that each and every paper contain an explicit statement that the research was subjected to review by the governing ethical review body for the institution and the research was approved prior to being conducted. If someone tries to submit a paper to a journal and it lacks such a statement, the default assumption of the editor will be that no such ethical review was performed and the paper will be automatically rejected for publication. This is as it should be.
It doesn't bother me. We post things on a public forum, subject to scrutiny of all kinds!

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
October 14

Attachments

• 20221014_141837.jpg
    20221014_141837.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20221014_141826.jpg
    20221014_141826.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20221014_141751.jpg
    20221014_141751.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 24

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Couple weeks ago

Attachments

• 20221023_144532.jpg
    20221023_144532.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 24

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are there branches on the top part of the stump or just the bottom part?
Just took this through the window at a distance, mind the quality. That is the highest branch I have. So there is hope for an apex. .... Can't wait to work some branches in a few months!

Attachments

• 20221113_112214.jpg
    20221113_112214.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 25

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking at the first pics, branches grew wild. Good first growing season

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would find my front, or the best basal flare and cut down the top of the tub and start looking at the tree from the base up. thats the best way to really get a feel of the material and the next steps, then you might even find that it looks better from another angle. Imagine that youre at the foot of a large old tree and looking up at it.

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would find my front, or the best basal flare and cut down the top of the tub and start looking at the tree from the base up. thats the best way to really get a feel of the material and the next steps, then you might even find that it looks better from another angle. Imagine that youre at the foot of a large old tree and looking up at it.
Well said, as I was looking at pictures from collection. There are some large tuberous roots that need to be dealt with, before I really know how I'm going to move on with the top. .... at least i have 4 months to ponder it

Top Bottom