Large bonsai pot. WIP

Ceijay

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It’s been a minute since I’ve posted here but I’ve been very busy in the ceramic studio. Check out this bonsai pot I’m currently working on.

I’m fairly sure it’s the wrong shape for it but I plan on putting a neat wisteria I collected in it.

Let me know what you think.

36A1FD60-BB1A-41A8-87AC-3758E1A07432.jpeg11DFFDF6-7C1C-46CA-92CB-E4F633A61BEE.jpeg1E447676-BF50-4280-87D9-C5399189977B.jpeg

D

Deleted member 21616

clean lines and angles! nice work!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Looks good. Is there a reason for wire holes so close to the drainage hole?

Ceijay

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Its perfect but upside down!

Althought reverse taper in pots seems to be more and more ok.

Nice!

Sorce
I gotta let it dry upside down or it may warp as it drys.

Looks good. Is there a reason for wire holes so close to the drainage hole?
No reason at all. I just sorta thought that’s where they were suppose to go?

I just kinda made it up off the top of my head. Are there rules for that sorta thing?

I was unsure of how big and how many drainage holes to make too.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think source is being serious about the taper. With an established tree, you wouldn’t be able to lift it out of the pot without cutting roots unseen or cracking the pot.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
small pots have "wire" holes close to "drainage" holes....what's the difference? 'Course, if this was my pot, I would just route the wire thru the "drainage" hole.

I would like a drainage hole in the center, though.....:):):):)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes. Backwards reminds me of a dog bowl !

Wire ties are multiple
Good!

Drainage is about the bulge.

Drying upside down makes the belly bulge up so side/corner drain holes are preferred. Japanese.

I dry right side up and hole the center.

Sorce.

Ceijay

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yes. Backwards reminds me of a dog bowl !

Wire ties are multiple
Good!

Drainage is about the bulge.

Drying upside down makes the belly bulge up so side/corner drain holes are preferred. Japanese.

I dry right side up and hole the center.

Sorce.

Thanks for all the feedback.

So I went in and touched it up some more. I gave it a second pass to get rid of any illusions of a taper. It’s all right angles now. Although I will note that the rounded ends are less square than the side, I will try to get a picture.

I also added this “point of interest” to one side.

Then I left the wire holes as they were since filling them in would be a lot of work and I’d like to let it rest and dry at this point.

418A9C30-65FC-4452-8ECC-B438845C1D20.jpeg
AEA0B9CA-C558-4EB4-AA76-1F631D8A5483.jpeg

So you recommend drying it on it’s feet?

I was planning on firing it in cone 10 reduction as well. I may stilt the bottom and fire it right side up. Is this how they are traditional done?

Ceijay

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The sides. One is better than the other.

142ED78D-BAFA-4B29-BE1C-0B94293AF8B4.jpegD1526809-AB81-461C-97A2-BED38250E1BB.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice! I like the streaks.

Dry how it works!

"It Depends" is alive and well in pottery!

Sorce

Ceijay

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It went into bisque today.

Ceijay

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Well it finally came out. It warped on one side and on the bottom. I’m kinda “meh” about it.

736AE9A5-71BA-45C6-BC4F-9155AD4147D3.jpeg
180021F9-8747-4095-A28A-D729170CE13B.jpeg
8996D9B2-3A7A-4FE5-84D0-4EAB237C96F7.jpeg6ECBB131-E6D9-47BE-83DF-DA65F174C530.jpeg

I threw my wisteria in it, don’t worry, that’s ugly too.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hey man its not ugly. I mean, maybe you didn't get the exact thing you were looking for, but you will. I like it! Keep up the good work!!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A really good first attempt - and certainly better than I would do!

Your clay is probably too thin - both the walls and the feet. Big pots like that equal heavy bonsai, and the feet need to be robust.

If you can, try to buy a big bonsai pot from a reputable potter that you can use - not as a literal model - but to check your design scale. Thickness of bottom, walls, feet, etc. Large pots also often have reinforcement at the rim, whether it is a true lip or just widening of the wall body.

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't know if you have seen these, but there are some good bonsai pot building videos on YouTube. Although the quality is low, this is a good one on large Tokoname pots. It is a mold built pot, but many of the construction details would be the same. Check out, for example, how they build up the rim - it is a distinctly separate process. Notice also how they build the feet by pushing the floor down into the mold... and then level and smooth the inside bottom of the pot afterwards.

Last edited:

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Your pot looks good. Warping slightly is a result I sometimes get myself. One thing that helped reduce it for me was to increase thickness of the slabs. I’m doing mine roughly 3/8 in thick. They are doing okay that way, but still, warping is a concern, especially on bigger pots. Are you compressing the slabs?

I am impressed that you did a pot that size. Big ones are tricky!

Top Bottom