Large Branch Removal

Cmanz

Yamadori
Reaction score
A year ago while browsing on Bonsai Tonight I came across a technique for removing large branches where a notch is cut half way through a branch allowing the cut to partially heal before the rest of the branch is removed. In March of this year I applied the technique to a cedar. The cut healed so fast I made a second cut at the end of June. In the second pic you can see callus that has formed in two weeks. Just thought I would share. Has anyone else used this branch or trunk removal process?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 64

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
A little confusing what you're trying to remove. I think in the bonsai tonight reference the cut was from the top side of the branch.
Ian

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I am doing this to a high root on this juniper. The objective here is to make the notch/cut at the site where you intend to remove the branch, that way the cut is partway healed (using the remaining part of the branch/root) by the time it is completely removed.

The first photo is a couple years old, night shots taken tonight. You can see how it's about 1/4 closed. In the spring when I repot, I will be able to safely remove the root, and the healing process is well underway.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Cmanz

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks Brian for sharing your fabulous juniper.

Ian Just thought I would clarify. I am planning to remove the branch at the red line in this photo. These cuts were just made to test the technique. Kind of a hybrid of the bonsai tonight technique and a trunk chop. I'm planning to grow the bud circled in blue into a branch and grow a bud from the other side into the next trunk section and apex, represented by the black line.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 31
Top Bottom