Large collected Acer Rubrum

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I pillaged my parents place during this holiday break and collected this large red maple last night. I had been eyeing it since last year and now that it went dormant i made my move.

Now to determine how to ship it to myself next year once it recovers.

First and second white pictures are possible fronts

D2ACCDD9-12E0-460B-91CD-00C9DB3EC2A4.jpeg2ABCD9E0-AEB2-4628-B71D-49957120B19F.jpeg8E797D93-9336-4DED-988E-9473672C836E.jpegD6249F2D-5833-44C2-BB60-F4AB5B0044BE.jpegFE442F0B-6841-4009-8F26-F14FB8305183.jpeg734804FA-B063-4929-8EE4-2F96414E1CD2.jpeg69CEBFE4-23AF-4944-BAE5-B1F4914DB026.jpeg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
100% agree with silver maple. Especially the leaves in first picture.

Either way, a nice piece of material to work with.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice, looks like a red maple to me (Acer rubrum) you can clearly see the three points.

What's you plans with it?

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm still keeping my eye out for something like this. Want to try the species but I've heard they need to be on the larger size. I disagree with silver maple it looks like rubrum to me based on leaf and bark

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ah pitoon beat me by seconds haha. Hope it's got radial roots to fix that inverse taper. It only seems apparent in the last pic anyway though

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why did you dig it now?

Also don't choose a front or anything now. What you have there may shift considerably as the tree recovers--which given the collection timing, could be difficult.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
My parents place is in south Florida and i think it’s a swamp maple as those are one of the few maples that actually grow here. Here is a shot of the leaves of some of the same neighboring trees. Would live some help identifying it. There’s some variety in the lead shape in the 3rd photo but it was on the same tree

B29C9C13-EF2D-4C2C-8C8E-00A61CAF065E.jpegD8B3BFBC-1787-406F-B6D8-E29BE7D52A9C.jpeg7F196875-2C1B-4BDB-B084-00E8DCCD9D11.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Why did you dig it now?

Also don't choose a front or anything now. What you have there may shift considerably as the tree recovers--which given the collection timing, could be difficult.

I dug now because i might not be back till summer time and i know for sure that it would be a bad time to dig. It being south Florida, i took my chances now that the tree went dormant. As for the front, you’re absolutely right! This was just the “front” as i saw it now. I’m sure it will change as it recovers and i become familiar with it. The inverse taper is apparent from some angles but not all. There might also be some carving in the future. Idk, all still way to early to know. I’m just waiting at least a year before i do anything else.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You can cut red maples down to a stump and they will come back strong, give it time to recover and think about what style in the mean time.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
My parents place is in south Florida and i think it’s a swamp maple as those are one of the few maples that actually grow here. Here is a shot of the leaves of some of the same neighboring trees. Would live some help identifying it. There’s some variety in the lead shape in the 3rd photo but it was on the same tree

View attachment 274135View attachment 274136View attachment 274137
Oh, yes, Rubrum. Not silver.....must be torn leaves in the first pics that look questionable.

Very cool.
I hope it survives for you.
I tried to collect a tree last winter around this time....looked promising until spring but then went black.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can cut red maples down to a stump and they will come back strong, give it time to recover and think about what style in the mean time.

NOT if a southern collected red maple freezes solid in Hoboken. A frost-free storage site is absolutely necessary for this tree.

I understand about collecting when you can because you're not going to be around in decent collection season. I did this several times with large ( 4-6 inch diameter trunks) cedar elms from my folk's place in East Texas. had some nice ones die on me because I collected them out of season. CE are as strong or stronger growers than red maple, when collected in-season.

Don't count on anything with this tree at this point...

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
NOT if a southern collected red maple freezes solid in Hoboken. A frost-free storage site is absolutely necessary for this tree.

I understand about collecting when you can because you're not going to be around in decent collection season. I did this several times with large ( 4-6 inch diameter trunks) cedar elms from my folk's place in East Texas. had some nice ones die on me because I collected them out of season. CE are as strong or stronger growers than red maple, when collected in-season.

True dat! I automatically assumed he was going to safe keep it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b

ABSOLUTELY, thank you. I plan to leave it here (South Florida) for my parents to care for till it recovers and i come up with a plan to get it home. Maybe make a road trip out of it. They support my bonsai obsession and like to look after trees for me. I’m lucky. My mom was already encouraging me to dig up another one nearby but I don’t want to take all that on right now.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ABSOLUTELY, thank you. I plan to leave it here (South Florida) for my parents to care for till it recovers and i come up with a plan to get it home. Maybe make a road trip out of it. They support my bonsai obsession and like to look after trees for me. I’m lucky. My mom was already encouraging me to dig up another one nearby but I don’t want to take all that on right now.
That part about leaving it in Fla. is crucial ;-) I had to bring my elms home with me on the plane--and yes, in case you're wondering--you can take a four foot tall, 6 inch diameter tree trunk with a 25 lb root mass on as carry-on if you put it in a big box ;-) TSA didn't blink when it went through the x-ray scanner.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
That part about leaving it in Fla. is crucial ;-) I had to bring my elms home with me on the plane--and yes, in case you're wondering--you can take a four foot tall, 6 inch diameter tree trunk with a 25 lb root mass on as carry-on if you put it in a big box ;-) TSA didn't blink when it went through the x-ray scanner.

Oh S#%} my wheels are turning now. 😂 the plot thickens.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
So, I ended up moving to Miami and this tree, which was in the care of my parents ended up with me now. It had a strong push of growth this spring but I think my parents must have miss watered it or allegedly, my dad accidentally sprayed it with a harsh chemical. It’s had a set back for sure. But hopefully with me monitoring it’s water and babying it a bit, it will recover and fill out again. Anyways, now that I get to stare at it all day I’m getting excited for what the future holds.
8AA427A9-A751-44DC-8711-4E7A796E58D1.jpeg
CC6B4491-6ADC-4C8D-A683-EC9DE5EBABBF.jpegDFBCBC44-1955-443A-AA5B-FF5D116912BC.jpeg

Theo Smith

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
So, I ended up moving to Miami and this tree, which was in the care of my parents ended up with me now. It had a strong push of growth this spring but I think my parents must have miss watered it or allegedly, my dad accidentally sprayed it with a harsh chemical. It’s had a set back for sure. But hopefully with me monitoring it’s water and babying it a bit, it will recover and fill out again. Anyways, now that I get to stare at it all day I’m getting excited for what the future holds.
View attachment 297339
View attachment 297338View attachment 297342
How’s this tree doing? I have a few in my yard that have my interest lol.

Top Bottom