Large collected Yew

GrampaMoses

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was driving by a demolition site and saw them digging up some giant Yew hedges. I asked and they said I could help myself. They even had a chainsaw and lopped off the long branches for me. It was overcast and I got it at 10am, so it never dried out.

car.jpg

tree4.jpg

planted.jpg

I have 3 spots I could put this tree to recover.

1. In the popup greenhouse in the background of the last picture. Temperature swings are the highest here, from 40 at night to 100F in the day. Humidity is also the highest.

2. Outside where all my other Yew bonsai grow well. Dappled light all day with no direct sunlight and some breeze. Humidity is lowest here.

3. Under my skirted deck. It's the darkest, but Yew do well in low light, so I wonder if it's an option. Temperatures are the most stable here, warmer at night and cooler during the day. Humidity is lower than the greenhouse, but higher than outside.

Where do you think it would have the best chance of recover?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Dappled light with the other trees. Too bad there isn’t any green on those sub trunks. Hopefully you get some buds to pop but it’ll take at least two years to know if this tree is going to survive collection.

GrampaMoses

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great, thank you for your thoughts!

I know there's a chance it won't make it, but it was free and worth a shot.

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Damn what a shame it dont have any green.... it maybe have enough strenght to push up but I wont bet that it would do it

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dont think my yew had green on it, at least not much. It very well might survive. Good find.
But the styling might be a problem. Yews have live veins. Hopefully nothing important was severed

Top Bottom