Large cuts on Malus

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any advice on when is the best time of year for large cuts on a Crabapple?

Thanks,
Jeff

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
I've always waited until early spring.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Here are some photos of the tree. It will also need a ground layer to correct some bad roots as well.

Attachments

• Malus #2.jpg
    Malus #2.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Malus #1.jpg
    Malus #1.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 96

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like your idea. That thing needs some movement. Some of thse branches are really straight too. Interesting piece. John Thompson has some nice ones in your area.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Update

Here is the same tree after the truck chop last year and a repotting yesterday. Hopefully I'll still get some flowers and apples on it this Spring.

Attachments

• Malus.jpg
    Malus.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Bench trees.jpg
    Bench trees.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 57

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looking nice! But I only see a few fruiting spurs on your tree, so your only going to get a few flowers, and while you're growing branches I would at least thin the fruit, if not totally remove it.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Looking nice! But I only see a few fruiting spurs on your tree, so your only going to get a few flowers, and while you're growing branches I would at least thin the fruit, if not totally remove it.

We had some really funky weather out here in November/December and the tree actually bloomed early on some branches. Hopefully that is not it for the year even though I pull the fruit before it gets too far into development, the flowers remind me of why I grow Crabs considering the constant spraying for fungal growth and pests.

Top Bottom