Large European Hornbeam yamadori no.1 - advice is welcome

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
This is the first tree from this thread: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/2-european-hornbeams-almost-flawless-yamadori-material.27054/
The tree grew pretty intensely throughout the season - many new branches, roots are sticking from the bottom of the container. Still I plan to keep it in this container for at least a year and let it grow freely (except for the things discussed below).

Here's few photos I took today with animation being done automatically by Google. The last 2 photos from top show 2 problematic branches.
DSC_0232.jpg DSC_0235.jpg DSC_0236.jpg DSC_0237.jpg DSC_0238.jpg DSC_0239.jpg DSC_0240.jpg DSC_0241.jpg DSC_0242.jpg DSC_0235-ANIMATION.gif
So at the end of winter / beginning of spring I plan to do few things:
  1. wire the branches I will keep to have them grow the direction I want
  2. remove (if necessary) some thick branches / part of trunk I will not use
I see these issues (in order of importance) with the tree:
  1. Long thick branch that is at 90 degree angle to the trunk. It has some nice subtle movement, good taper but is badly out of proportion. I am considering air-layering it and having nice informal upright tree out of it.
  2. Just slightly above it is a Y shaped branch where those 2 ends cross each other. This one is thinner so I guess removing one of the ends could be a way. But still seems a bit too thick.
  3. Last portion of the trunk - it is straight with a bit of taper. I could probably use it but it seems to me that removing it in a point where side branches emerge would make the tree better and also smaller.
  4. Thick branches are at good spots but in my opinion need shortening a bit to be able in future to achieve good taper with proper length.
What are your opinions and advices?

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Bring it to me in March, and we give it a structure in one hour.
Maros,

this is an offer that I cannot miss. Thanx a lot. However this has got few issues:
  • The tree with the pot is quite heavy - certainly not for one man to lift
  • The tree with the pot is quite tall - certainly too tall for may car. Maybe it could be fit into my wife's car.
  • If I went to your place it certainly couldn't be without the wine I make - how would I get back?
I'll think about it and will come out with a solution for all the issues. We'll meet in March ;-) Even that is the best season to collect trees from the wild and I have got many on my list...

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nice tree. Really nice find. I hope you’re able to work out the logistics for a visit to @Maros
I look forward to seeing additional photos as the tree leaves develop and branches grow. Are you in early Spring now?....or still Winter?

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Very nice tree. Really nice find. I hope you’re able to work out the logistics for a visit to @Maros
I look forward to seeing additional photos as the tree leaves develop and branches grow. Are you in early Spring now?....or still Winter?
I found few more (and 2 or 3 left there) albeit a bit smaller - see here: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/t...eup-hornbeams-and-larch-2-garden-pines.32972/
Started editing the tree without Maros - the tree in current very large and deep pot is quite heavy and tall (hasn't had pot wide enough that would be shallower) to transport in any car I have. I'll post the results soon.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have replanted it quite drastically this spring so there's not much new growth compared to last year. That nice branch I airlayered 2 years ago didn't get it through the winter even though was growing quite much last year.
View attachment 450571
thanks, its looking powerful and extremely healthy. you guys have more patience than me, i probably would have styled these trees already☺️
The shape is forming nicely anyway.

I havnt done any layering on hornbeam yet, but ive had 100% success layering beech.

mapleX

Yamadori
Reaction score
Stop killing hornbeams please!! 😁

Jokes aside, the material you can collect is excellent, death is unfortunately part of the adventure, which at least serves to shorten the learning curve.

Thanks for sharing!

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Stop killing hornbeams please!! 😁

Jokes aside, the material you can collect is excellent, death is unfortunately part of the adventure, which at least serves to shorten the learning curve.

Thanks for sharing!
I wish I could. Some very interesting trees didn't make it through last few years...

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Nice tree. I love the muscular trunk. The high speed slideshow made me dizzy, though.;)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wish I could. Some very interesting trees didn't make it through last few years...
Your mistake is your climate. You should collect and then overwinter them in a milder climate. Say.. Germany?

Reactions: R3x
Top Bottom