Large Ficus Tree

pbethune

Mame
Reaction score
I just received a 5 foot ficus and 3 foot wide. It is unbelievable. I need suggestions please!!!

Attachments

• Ficus-CH.jpg
    Ficus-CH.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 142

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Don't prune it or repot until summer. Then probably a drastic chop down. Got any more pics?

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
By any chance is it summer where you live? It is really hard to tell as you do not have your profile filled out yet .... :confused:

ed

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is probably a ficus benjamina.

Others here will know for sure, but people have said that they dont take well to being chopped (?) and dont take to being turned into a bonsai well.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
They do OK as bonsai, but if they need cutting down it must be done very carefully. If a branch is cut to the point where there are NO leaves, it often simply dies (the branch). There are easier figs to work with.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It seems that they could be moody too and start dropping leaves if you just change their place in the house...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a number of benjamina varieties as well as the standard variety of "braided trunk". Can you post a picture zoomed in on the first foot or so of your benjamina as well as posting your location to your profile? I think your general plan would be to mive outdoors into full sun as soon as it gets warm enough. When it starts to show signs of new growth repot to get you roots straightened out and to strengthen for the chop. Depending on how well it responds to the chop either that summer or the next, when it is showing lots of new growth chop back drastically leaving some green on any important branches. It should throw some back buds for you.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Kinda looks weak but hard to tell from the blurry pic. Also as been said maybe keep it as a house plant?, though it can be done.

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
it deffinetly does look like a benjima, based on that assumption and that you plan on doing this work in the summer when the tree is growing vigorously;

as far as the trunk chop is concerned, work it back like a pine, multiple chops over time.
chop each of the trunks to the lowest branch possible, and even though i'm sure you could, do not cut the terminal buds on those limbs just to ensure that limb will live. at this point you're not looking to use any of those limbs to develop into a new leader, you're just looking to reduce the height and keep the tree alive.
this should also cause your tree to backbud, and if it not, cut the terminal bud once you see new growth on that limb because you know the tree is still vigorous and wait. benjimina is known not to backbud, so you may or may not have success. worst comes to worst, there is grafting.

benjimina is not my favorite ficus to work with and I don't intend on owning any, but they do make great bonsai given the proper care.
the nebari can be developed very easily and the leaf shape and size is nice, just aware of the drawbacks of the species.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've never had trouble doing a trunk chop. I only do it in late spring or in summer. They always bud back like crazy. I usually do not leave any foliage or branches below the chop.

pbethune

Mame
Reaction score
Large Free Ficus

Man... I should've waited....I chopped it back leaving leaves on each branch. That was the first day I posted. But in truth, it hasn't dropped or changed in color yet. Do you think it will be okay?

Attachments

• walk near road 006.jpg
    walk near road 006.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 40
  • walk near road 007.jpg
    walk near road 007.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 37
  • walk near road 008.jpg
    walk near road 008.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 31
  • walk near road 010.jpg
    walk near road 010.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 39

pbethune

Mame
Reaction score
Thank you guys and gals. It has an interesting trunk and it was aquired from a person who inherited the house. It had many dead branches in the middle, but is doing well. I live in New Jersey near the pine barrens. I can't wait till the Spring, I've seen wild cherries, pears and persimmons plus every wine vine you can think about.

Been in bonsai training since 2009

pbethune

Mame
Reaction score
Large Ficus

Kinda looks weak but hard to tell from the blurry pic. Also as been said maybe keep it as a house plant?, though it can be done.
. Thank you for your advice, but I chopped it down some just to get it into the house and into the sunny room. It's been two weeks and the leaves are still green. Does that mean it's safe? It is a Bengimina.

pbethune

Mame
Reaction score
Large Ficus

Don't prune it or repot until summer. Then probably a drastic chop down. Got any more pics?
Thank you for the advice...did you see the other pics? I cut it down but left some leaves and they are still green. I placed it near the window and it seems to be doing well.

pbethune

Mame
Reaction score

You know, that's not a bad idea. I like the look of it. It was definitely not healthy due to where I got it from free. But it responded well with the drastic cuts and has grown new leaves.

pbethune

Mame
Reaction score
it deffinetly does look like a benjima, based on that assumption and that you plan on doing this work in the summer when the tree is growing vigorously;

as far as the trunk chop is concerned, work it back like a pine, multiple chops over time.
chop each of the trunks to the lowest branch possible, and even though i'm sure you could, do not cut the terminal buds on those limbs just to ensure that limb will live. at this point you're not looking to use any of those limbs to develop into a new leader, you're just looking to reduce the height and keep the tree alive.
this should also cause your tree to backbud, and if it not, cut the terminal bud once you see new growth on that limb because you know the tree is still vigorous and wait. benjimina is known not to backbud, so you may or may not have success. worst comes to worst, there is grafting.

benjimina is not my favorite ficus to work with and I don't intend on owning any, but they do make great bonsai given the proper care.
the nebari can be developed very easily and the leaf shape and size is nice, just aware of the drawbacks of the species.

I'm doing what you suggest and I will see what happens to it. So far, it is doing quite well and happy next to the window.

Top Bottom