Large Ficus

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Personally I'd enjoy it as it is.
It will require a lot of work to get it 'bonsai-able', but if you absolutely wanted to use it for bonsai, you can maybe do a clump with it.

The difficulty will be getting any movement in those trunks as they are all stick straight and far too mature to bend.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Check out this thread:

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Check out this thread:
See I stand corrected!

MadSweatz

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
As far as taking bonsai sized cuttings. Will they root ok? I could definitely bend most of the branches at the top for sure.

MadSweatz

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Personally I'd enjoy it as it is.
It will require a lot of work to get it 'bonsai-able', but if you absolutely wanted to use it for bonsai, you can maybe do a clump with it.

The difficulty will be getting any movement in those trunks as they are all stick straight and far too mature to bend.
My best friend thought it would be interesting to make three canopy style clumps out of the leaves. So kind of train three levels of leaves into pads. I thought it was a pretty interesting idea.

Attachments

• 58e15702-ebf3-427f-87e0-503825025015.jpg
    58e15702-ebf3-427f-87e0-503825025015.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 59

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Benjaminas dont typically take well to bonsai culture.
I would enjoy the tree as it is. Its a beautiful large house plant that seems to be doing well enough.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Arnold is not wrong, but they're also almost impossible to kill, so great for learning and experimenting on.
Benjamina cuttings root VERY easily. As long it's actively growing, and you see that white sap when you cut it, you can stick it straight in a pot of soil, and start watering like it's a tree and in a couple months it'll start growing like a tree. You can make yourself 20 new trees in a day, so not shortage of material if you screw something up.
I've personally not found them to be finicky, but I've seen enough out of mine that I can understand how people feel that way about them.

My best friend thought it would be interesting to make three canopy style clumps out of the leaves. So kind of train three levels of leaves into pads. I thought it was a pretty interesting idea.
Your thought here seems like it would turn into more of a topiary design than bonsai, but you could play with the idea some.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I have found that they do not lend themselves to bonsai culture because the growth is always straight up. I have wired branches and left it on until it cut way in, after taking it off it slowly moves up an inch or so over a season. The only way have managed to make them stay permanently is to notch the underside and pull the branch down.

John

Top Bottom