Large Google header ads?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you can swing 2x the revenue I am good with it!
Maybe it might be privacy settings but I don’t get any ads that relate to me. I have an iPhone and use safari. I get ads like antique olive trees and lending tree. Both of which I don’t need. I don’t ever get anything local.
The new (current) ads don't seem to relate to anything I typically search or browse for, but I think the ads used to be relevant. Strange.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been careful to maintain the same level of ads and not spam people with pop-ups, etc. I have tried to make the ads somewhat inobtrusive. So I am upset that Google just arbitrarily changed their responsive ad formatting - doubling the size. I just checked and yes, they did so without so much as a request... The MASSIVE ads are being driven by a new feature that allows text ads to be formatted as if they were banner ads - so if you don't have a design team to make fancy banner ads for you, you can enter a few images and text, and Google will do the work for you. However what this creates are MASSIVE ads that, while they look slightly better than text only - are clearly cobbled together using a bunch of random images and graphics. It looks like something a kid in elementary school would do.
The BNut ads are not a problem for me. What I described above is a relatively recent phenomenon, like over the past one to four months give or take. It's gotten horrendous just in the past month - have no idea what's driving it, though of course the "oogle" that will remain unnamed must be at the root of it somehow.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The BNut ads are not a problem for me. What I described above is a relatively recent phenomenon, like over the past one to four months give or take. It's gotten horrendous just in the past month - have no idea what's driving it, though of course the "oogle" that will remain unnamed must be at the root of it somehow.

I agree with you. I go to some sites and I am not kidding there can be eight or ten ads on the page - some of which may be streaming video with live audio, etc.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I agree with you. I go to some sites and I am not kidding there can be eight or ten ads on the page - some of which may be streaming video with live audio, etc.
Yeah the ones that just start screaming at you as you try to scroll past are the worst. I've never been bothered by the ads here, and I do click on things that interest
me.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
And on a unrelated note (maybe related), I can't 'X' out the photos after I select it on my phone. Anybody else experience this?

Galaxy s9, Google Chrome

Edit: I think page size is larger than my phone resolution so I have to use my finger to scroll down and over to see the 'X'. Is this on my end?

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well Bonsai Nut I like the way you do your ads here. The big wasn’t too bad but the change was really noticeable when you went back down to 90 pixels. It looks great now.

I have turned off something in my phone that personalizes the ads, so its kinda fun seeing what they think I’m looking for.

Here’s another screenshot for the new size

Attachments

• 69E8B4AD-DFCB-4FFC-95B7-2160914E9727.png
    69E8B4AD-DFCB-4FFC-95B7-2160914E9727.png
    61.2 KB · Views: 5

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I managed to turn off the adds yesterday but the blank sapce remained at the header.
Back to smaller ads today.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I got logged out, generally never happens on my phone. While logged out I got a huge add in every single entry. Will certainly discourage new members if that's common

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I got logged out, generally never happens on my phone. While logged out I got a huge add in every single entry. Will certainly discourage new members if that's common
Yeah I noticed that too. If logged out every comment right on down has an ad. But if logged in there aren't any within the thread.

Top Bottom