Large Hollywood Juniper

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
So this is a year or so since I got this thing. It was a 15 gallon topiary puffball that had the top broken off. I chopped it up and stuck it in a way too large box and gave it an initial wiring. I recently changed the angle and design and put it in a pot large enough to not have to do anything to the roots. I have not done any fine wiring yet this time but I think it is coming along nicely and the fine wiring will make a big difference also. Thanks for looking :)
lgjuni1a.jpg lgjuni2a.jpg lgjuni5a.jpg IMG_20150802_100514.jpg

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I like it man! Someone on here once told me you couldn't make bonsai out of Hollywood junipers. I got 3 of them, myself, all literati style trees. They have great foliage its just not as tight and compact as shimpaku. ive only styled one of em so far and its looking pretty good. Nice job on turning this thing.into something promising!

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks I look for problem stuff at my buddies nursery and do with it what I can.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like it man! Someone on here once told me you couldn't make bonsai out of Hollywood junipers. I got 3 of them, myself, all literati style trees. They have great foliage its just not as tight and compact as shimpaku. ive only styled one of em so far and its looking pretty good. Nice job on turning this thing.into something promising!

You mean like this one?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/306570/

Last edited:

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Well whatever it is its looking decent. And that link took me to a picture of Goshin lol I don't think I'm getting there yet. I've only been playing for three years - well almost.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That link goes to foemina (spelled incorrectly as femina). Hollywood is torulosa.

Actually it all depends on the copyright date on which taxonomy manual/paper
you are looking at that will determine whether it is listed as torulosa or foemina.
Technically, torulosa has not existed since sometime around 1987.
But Goshin is indeed this species.
Many plants are still listed by old/mistaken names. You will still find a lack of shimpaku
in most plants listings, yet we know it is a different entity from "Sargent's Juniper".

Last edited:

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
Torulosa, hollywood juniper, and kaizuka are the same plant. Foemina is different. Regarding the former, kaizuka is the legitimate name under the ICNCP. torulosa is illegitimate because the plant already had a legitimate cultivar name. You can't give an old cultivar a new name. Second, latinized cultivar names are illegitimate if given after 1959. Torulosa is based on Latin torus.

Hollywood juniper is more like a common name apparently it is commonly planted in Los Angeles area. It's also very commonly planted here but that doesn't mean I can call it San Antonio juniper, at least not under the rules of the ICNCP.

I agree that it is often listed as torulosa, I disagree if you're saying that means the two epithets are equally valid.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well whatever it is its looking decent. And that link took me to a picture of Goshin lol I don't think I'm getting there yet. I've only been playing for three years - well almost.

Exactly my point, more often than not it is the artist not
the medium that prevents a masterpiece.

There is no reason that a sycamore can't be a beautiful bonsai, at least in its proper
season, but you will ALWAYS be told that you can't achieve one with them. Beautiful
bark shedding in plates revealing colors underneath would make them wonderful for
that brief period before leaf out in Spring. Would not want the chore of keeping up with
the watering and trying to prevent their leaves from scorching would be a nightmare
but during that season they are one of my favs in nature.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Torulosa, hollywood juniper, and kaizuka are the same plant. Foemina is different. Regarding the former, kaizuka is the legitimate name under the ICNCP. torulosa is illegitimate because the plant already had a legitimate cultivar name. You can't give an old cultivar a new name. Second, latinized cultivar names are illegitimate if given after 1959. Torulosa is based on Latin torus.
Hollywood juniper is more like a common name apparently it is commonly planted in Los Angeles area. It's also very commonly planted here but that doesn't mean I can call it San Antonio juniper, at least not under the rules of the ICNCP. I agree that it is often listed as torulosa, I disagree if you're saying that means the two epithets are equally valid.

Hate to disagree with you but foemina did replace torulosa as the varietal name in the trade but they still
are cut from the same mother plants that each nurseryman used no matter which label he slapped on it.
Though some try to treat them as "different sub-strains" or some other explanation. I have actually seen potted "lots" being labeled
as both depending on which part of the country they were being shipped to.
And yes "Kaizuka" is the orignal, and I feel correct, varietal designation. However, "Elegans Superba" (1870) is completely
unknown now but was the origninal/proper designation for "Pride of Mobile" azalea. I fear that, much as many
have already, "Kaizuka" will end up as a historical footnote.

Last edited:

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
I agree with you that plants are very commonly sold under the wrong name. And that kaizuka is the proper name for the plant in this thread.

We will have to agree to disagree on the foemina is the same thing issue. I think foemina has primarily needle foliage. This plant has scale foliage.

If you go to evergreengardenworks there is a picture of the plant I think of as foemina in his catalog

Fwiw I also agree that any of them can be bonsai. I think pretty much any tree or shrub can be bonsai

Top Bottom