Large Hornbeam gets a lot of wiring [Embedded Images]

woodguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What is growing at the base. Looks like tiny chicks and hens.

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Outstanding! I love looking at the great work people do. I only hope that some day I can start to approach something like this fine tree.
Thanks

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok... So I love the work... I knew you all would be pleased... But I was just contemplating it a bit ago... and I realized I liked it better from about 5 degrees or so off center.... It resolves some things I wish were different in the structure... and gives it a bit more harmony for me.

Thoughts?

Thanks Victrinia,
I absolutely love this tree! Either way I might add. But I agree, I prefer the slight change of view. Here are my reasons: First, (please excuse my lack of a better description) The original viewing looks a bit like a squatty old man, hunching over with a pot belly...(no disrespect to the tree...or old men) while the slight change of view seems to make the tree look stronger and less "squatty." Second, Dave mentioned that he likes how the original viewing "highlights the old trunk with all it's uros and carving;" I agree somewhat but my personal preference is to slightly hide part of that "highlight" so that you feel drawn in, to seek out those areas, rather than make them too obvious. It is more mysterious and causes you to wonder what lays inside those partially hidden areas. It just seems more magestic to me. Like a hidden treasure calling to you. Sorry for rambling. Take it for what you will. The tree is amazing any way you look at it.

Dan

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome job wiring by the way Ang3lfir3!!! I love many of the trees I have seen by Daniel Robinson. I'm hoping to get his book soon.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
looking back again I think I like the small turn as well.... there is another view if you turn the tree clockwise as well.... but this anti-clockwise turn seems interesting.... easy to move a few branches around to make it work....

we'll have to see when we turn it.... plus need to find a great pot for this tree.... I like the ones rockm linked to for color... tho i would prefer a less rugged glaze .... Daniel's style lands somewhere between Pensai and Bonsai ..... potting choices tend to be on the Chinese side (most of his best pots are chinese antiques)..... We'll see...

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
just cuz I wanted to remind you all... and give myself a reason to get back to work.... i thought I would take a page from Al's play book and give ya'll a teaser...

IMAG0096.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom