Large juniper chinensis progression. Was an 8ft ornamental!

edro

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found this for $15 a few years ago in the fall. It was an 8ft tall pom-pom style and was half dead.
I knew it wouldn't fit in my car, so I had the nursery manager take the top off with a bow saw.
The following spring I cut off 1/3 of the root ball and repotted it into a training box.

Last year, I just let it grow.

This year it is growing great, so a few days ago, I gave it a good trimming and initial styling.
I am hoping to get some back budding to shorten up the branches.

The obvious problem is the apex. There is decent taper at the bottom, but none from 1/3 up to the apex.
Because the trunk is so large, I doubt I can bend a top branch vertically to make a new apex.
I might just have to disguise the cut with some foliage from a top branch.

The last photo is the original 8ft version. The top doesn't look at bad as I remember.

Attachments

• juniorig.jpg
    juniorig.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 150
  • juni.jpg
    juni.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 159
  • juni1.jpg
    juni1.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 160
  • oldjuni.jpg
    oldjuni.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

rosieface

Seedling
Reaction score
Could you possibly chop at an angle lower down and pick a leader branch to continue the upward line? It would take some time but it might make a better taper in the long run.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Or carve the top into a gnarly jin and run a shari down the trunk to match it. This could also take a lot of time. I really like this material; It has a great root flare and a nice thick trunk. It will make a great tree someday. Here is a virtual I did.

Attachments

• Junipervirt.JPG
    Junipervirt.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 100

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's great that you have branching that low growing from an originally tall tree. If it were mine, I lose the top half of the trunk. The top half lacks interest and detracts from the rest of the tree.

Top Bottom