Large Larch

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
What a transformation- Its looking great! what is the height?
Are you ground/air layering it?
You've reminded me to get on and start wiring my Japanese Larch

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
what is the height?
It is a good 2 1/2ft tall right now. Too tall to fit my car :)

Are you ground/air layering it?

No.. On the first picture you can see a smallish root at the base. I moved it around a little. It has only very few growing tips and is a bit weak. In order for the tree to not drop the root I decided to cover it up for a bit as I think larch tend to drop non-critical roots that are too far exposed..? Over summer I will lower the substrate again.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great job! Do you usually do this kind of styling work in the middle of winter? What kind of conditions will you give this tree the rest of the winter, is it going to be kept in a relatively protected area? No idea what your winters are like.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is this a Japanese larch? I see that you're zone 7, so not sure if you can have the American variety.
Nice styling job! I like it.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like Larch, the European ones.
I like the styling/wiring job on this one. but i prefer this positioning below. there is a natural flow there with the roots an everything else. where the trunk swells in the upper part of the tree would bother me though, i would likely go in with a pair of knob cutters if it was mine, just to reduce some volume and enhance that flow that im seeing. :cool:

20191201-20191201_r14a2347-jpg.276397

if you check out Pavel slovak on FB, a lot of his conifers have that flow going left or to the right, as if leaning over a bank or cliff top. it seems to work very well if you can pull it off.
I think this material would have been suited to that style/flow.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you usually do this kind of styling work in the middle of winter?
Yeah. Winter feels right for this work. If it gets cold (Say, colder than a light frost) I will move this into a shed. But Larch (Not sure whether it is japanese or european; I olways mix them up) are very hardy. Should be fine.

but i prefer this positioning below.
I know. THe guy I bought it from also did not expect me to do this. I just do not really like the slant it had. Too much for me. And I know Pavel, worked with him a few times. I know how he can do magic.Someties I am sad to see the level of talent that some have. He truely is a magician!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah. Winter feels right for this work. If it gets cold (Say, colder than a light frost) I will move this into a shed. But Larch (Not sure whether it is japanese or european; I olways mix them up) are very hardy. Should be fine.
So you won't leave it outside for the winter and will protect it from prolonged deep freezing, right? I usually keep my larches (various species) in the garage without any additional protection, so they are frozen for long periods and can get down to 10 F or so. I was thinking about doing some late winter work on them but if I did it now I would have to give additional protection like you do. Thanks!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
yeh its quite common to work conifers over winter in this part of the world.
there are tons of youtube vids of G Potter doing exactly this with Larch, Spruce, Yew to name a few.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is outside. But winters with 0F have become very rare here. Nowadays I typically get a few degrees of frost during the night and above freezing during the day. Nothing to be concerned about.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Its amazing how much better something looks once you put a little wire on it and bend it.
Nice job

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You did a great job. I like how you added a lot of drama and age to the starting material.

What’s the origin of the tree. Was it collected in the wild, in a garden? The bark looks old.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What’s the origin of the tree. Was it collected in the wild, in a garden? The bark looks old.
I found out yesterday. I was contacted by some random guy asking me whether I bought it from Deshima bonsai in the Netherlands. Upon confirming, he could tell me the tree was planted as a seedling some 20 years ago, and more or less forgotten. Brought back into a pot a few years ago, and sold last fall to a the owner of Deshima bonsai.

So.. It is grown from seed but mostly left to do its thing in the ground for one and a half decade :)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree responded well to the work done over winter. This year I did not fertilize, and plucked off all growth untill a month ago. As a result I have not had to unwire yet. Another mid-winter job I suppose. Unwire and rewire. Might get luck and the branches set by next summer.
logo_20200906_66.jpg

Top Bottom