Large multitrunk maple, Acer palmatum yama-momiji.

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My goodness! I just notice Mr. Walter Pall got a similar tree, "maple #14" and posting pictures at least since 2013, his "front" looks good too... https://walter-pall-bonsai.blogspot.com/2020/03/japanese-maple-25_21.html
By the way today I done some pruning on my maple 14B ;) mostly on the crown, top branches, some dead bit's, etc. I could/should have done more but in this case better to be safe than sorry! Will post pictures soon.

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm a bit puzzled about the color of this Japanese maple... It's just different from my regular Acer palmatum's, It looks like a Katsura! Any comments?
Again sorry for the picture quality.
IMG_20200405_192551.jpg

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You have an old, and likely really nice maple here. What you have done so far is sound. I would be careful about chopping trunks, large branches etc, based on suggestions from the peanut gallery (those on-line) based on pictures. Do you have local experts who may be able to sit with you, shoulder to shoulder with you and your tree, to help define your major trunk lines?

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You have an old, and likely really nice maple here. What you have done so far is sound. I would be careful about chopping trunks, large branches, etc, based on suggestions from the peanut gallery (those on-line) based on pictures. Do you have local experts who may be able to sit with you, shoulder to shoulder with you and your tree, to help define your major trunk lines?
Hi, yea about chopping trunks it was an out loud thinking of the possibilities but not something I'm willing to do. about local experts, that's something I'm working on. but hey a 'shoulder to shoulder' sit? really!!
Thank you for the comment.

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Based on the one photo of the leaves, it looks very similar to Tsuma gaki. One of my favorites. (in you case, favourite )

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shoulder to shoulder review of a tree and development direction with a trusted mentor, friend, teacher etc I find invaluable. I learn from trying to see what they see. Sometimes it may take years to develop, and having that advice in person, where the other can walk you through their thoughts with the 3d aspect of the tree present is very helpful, and can save years of frustration.

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Based on the one photo of the leaves, it looks very similar to Tsuma gaki. One of my favorites. (in you case, favourite )
Thank you, never heard about Tsuma gaki before. Although the colors are similar, the leaves look different... will keep that in mind. ''in you case, favorite''??

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Right! So because the roots were looking good but still have funny yellow leaves in spring with little grow... I think this tree have Chlorosis! Gonna start fertilising quite heavily and update soon.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
hello, your tree is very nice. Maybe taking more pics of the tree (8 pics turning the tree in the same direction : north, north-east, east, south-east, south etc ) would be interesting to find a good front because with a lot of pics turning the tree the same direction, it is possible to better understand it in 3D. There are good Bonsaika here that can give their opinion (Mach5 , Walter etc) on the best front.
The best would be a video of the tree turning 360°

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Interested to see how this one has progressed. Cool tree

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interested to see how this one has progressed. Cool tree
Hi, today I was reading about how a tree grow in a wooden box and how the first year the tree doesn't do much, a second year strong grow and third year thickening of branches and trunk. This since to be the case with this tree, first year couldn't do much apart of cutting a couple of small dead trunks/branches and try to close or improve other wounds and scars which are closing well apart of one making an ugly bump!. Second year,I have pruned strong shoots twice (this weekend will cut a few more), thinned once after leaves hardened off, growing a couple of new branches all in all this year the tree is more healthy.. I need to make a plan for next year so any suggestions are welcome.
Sorry about the crappy photos, I will upload better this winter.

Attachments

• IMG_20220806_113037.jpg
    IMG_20220806_113037.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20220806_112951.jpg
    IMG_20220806_112951.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20220806_112926.jpg
    IMG_20220806_112926.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 61

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi, today I was reading about how a tree grow in a wooden box and how the first year the tree doesn't do much, a second year strong grow and third year thickening of branches and trunk. This since to be the case with this tree, first year couldn't do much apart of cutting a couple of small dead trunks/branches and try to close or improve other wounds and scars which are closing well apart of one making an ugly bump!. Second year,I have pruned strong shoots twice (this weekend will cut a few more), thinned once after leaves hardened off, growing a couple of new branches all in all this year the tree is more healthy.. I need to make a plan for next year so any suggestions are welcome.
Sorry about the crappy photos, I will upload better this winter.
Ive heard this saying with trees planted in the ground. Not sure it really applies with yours, as it was already a very healthy tree with a good root system, lots of branching and fine twigging and maples generally grow rapidly.
Its looking healthy in the sun, lets see it after leaf drop😊

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ive heard this saying with trees planted in the ground. Not sure it really applies with yours, as it was already a very healthy tree with a good root system, lots of branching and fine twigging and maples generally grow rapidly.
Its looking healthy in the sun, lets see it after leaf drop😊
When i bought the tree health was declining to the point of starting to loose branches, very little growth, the smallest leaves I have seen on a Japanese maple and very short internodes... Which could be good but I think in this case needed a two years ''brake'' before more fiddling and development...

Top Bottom