Large Norway maple yamadori

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
IMG_20160529_194833.jpg This is the one I collected today I have another one still in the ground I want to get as well.

Last edited:

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
This is the other one I want to collect when I have time. I think the two largest trunks on the right will be used as Deadwood features and mainly the left side used.IMG_20160529_194011.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160529_194031.jpg
    IMG_20160529_194031.jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 9

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is the other one I want to collect when I have time. I think the two largest trunks on the right will be used as Deadwood features and mainly the left side used.View attachment 106644

Nice piece of material(s)! Stumps this big will be fine with the large internodes. I saw one near me that was a cut stump that sprouted all sorts of branches from its base. But when I got close to it, the stump was 3 feet tall and 2.5 feet in diameter! :eek::eek: BTW are you the same ValorG from Manhattan Reefs?

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
Nice piece of material(s)! Stumps this big will be fine with the large internodes. I saw one near me that was a cut stump that sprouted all sorts of branches from its base. But when I got close to it, the stump was 3 feet tall and 2.5 feet in diameter! :eek::eek: BTW are you the same ValorG from Manhattan Reefs?
HHAHAHAHAHA yes I am! What a small world! I wonder how many other reefers like bonsai trees. And thanks :) yeah I would never even try norway maple unles the material was large to begin with. Hopefully I can create something convincing.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
HHAHAHAHAHA yes I am! What a small world! I wonder how many other reefers like bonsai trees. And thanks :) yeah I would never even try norway maple unles the material was large to begin with. Hopefully I can create something convincing.

LOL!! I don't know too many here at all although I think the two interests may be more closely related than one might think. I also believe that you won't find many reefers here since they're probably way smarter and sensible than the two of us put together. Having bonsai is crazy. Having bonsai AND a reef tank is sheer insanity!!! :eek:

I don't post too often on the reef forums but you can find me in Manhattan Reefs, Reef Central and Reef 2 Reef under the same handle name with my old avatar (attached). BTW welcome to the Nut House! :p

Attachments

• MACH5 LOGO copy.jpg
    MACH5 LOGO copy.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 7

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You are a little late to be collecting but you might be okay. Norway maples are tough.

I wonder how many other reefers like bonsai trees.

I was interested in reef aquariums for quite a while. I started to spec out a setup but it quickly got out of my price range. I will occasionally go over to reef central and drool. I may try to get in to it again at some point but for right not I'll enjoy my other hobbies.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
You are a little late to be collecting but you might be okay. Norway maples are tough.

I was interested in reef aquariums for quite a while. I started to spec out a setup but it quickly got out of my price range. I will occasionally go over to reef central and drool. I may try to get in to it again at some point but for right not I'll enjoy my other hobbies.

Come on man! Join us on the dark side! You know you want to!

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score

I've collected all the way up to mid summer on the hardy tree species and it should be no problem as long as the aftercare is good. Thanks for the input though! You can always diy a lot of things if your handy with your tank. I diy'd my sump, stand and led lights. Obviously if you want everything to look amazing then yeah price will definitely go up. But if you just wanted a tank that will grow corals well in your basement, you can go cheap. Buy used if you can as well.

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
New chosen front and the old front i originally was going to use. Which do you guys think is better?

IMG_20160605_112720.jpg IMG_20160605_112702.jpg IMG_20160605_112750.jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
VG I like this piece of material! I hope you have a heavy duty carving tool cause ya gonna need it! :D The side where you don't see the big flat cut works for me. Good luck I hope both halves do well. :)

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
VG I like this piece of material! I hope you have a heavy duty carving tool cause ya gonna need it! :D The side where you don't see the big flat cut works for me. Good luck I hope both halves do well. :)
Thanks for the response buddy! Don't worry I got this.

IMG_20160605_214638.jpg

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I had several reef tanks 25 years ago. That was my first go round with bonsai too. After 2 catastrophes - power outage that resulted in several very expensive , very dead fish and then my 2 year old twin girls figured since it was ok to throw pennies into the water at the mall, they could do it at home as well; I decided to throw in the towel. I may try it again soon. Technology has come so far since.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Never ever should have cut dead wood stub off laying down trunk. Had character and age now forever lost:(.

Top Bottom