Large olive bonsai fell out of pot

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Got this olive with 3 other large ones April 2021. They were removed from an olive field and had to be severely cut with the large undersoil part all cut off. Made a mistake placing in bonsai pots vs in large pots to recover. 1 of the trees lost all its leaves and has not showed new growth yet although branches are still live. Another one still has few leaves but not a single new leave or growth. This one lost its leaves but started growing rather aggressively since spring.
This morning saw it on the ground weirdly. Tree has a 2 feet or 60 cm base abd sits balanced alone in pot and was secured by 3 wires to screws.also looking at the root growth seems very few roots grew only. Find couple small roots in pot as well.
I immediate repoted making sure not to damage the small roots. Do u think it has a chance to regrow roots a second time. Anything I can do to help it ? Screenshot_20220702-182950_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220702-183015_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220702-183121_Gallery.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Depends how long it was out of the pot and what weather conditions it experienced but olives are tough so I'd give it a good chance of surviving.
When we dig olives I just throw them in the back of an open tray truck for the trip home- sun and wind for up to an hour then the time taken to process and pot them up. Does not seem to make any difference to survival rates.
Some of our collections take ages to start to grow, sometimes up to 12 months before new shoots appear. After that they grow normally so don't give up on the others that have not started to grow yet. It's not dead here unless the trunk is fully dead and dry.
Many collectors here 'flat bottom' the olives - chop the base of the swollen stem with a chainsaw leaving no roots similar to your tree here but usually with a much wider base. Those also seem to recover and grow so collected olives with no roots is not unusual and it seems to work.
I have also noted that olives do take a number of years to get substantial roots back. Most that I've repotted in the first 2 years after collection seem to just have a few miserable roots like yours so that's not unusual either. Another reason for not hurrying training of collected olives.

Fingers crossed for continued recovery.

Maybe better tie downs to the pots from now on????

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for the input.
Mont sure when it fell out as I woke up and found it out of the pot but it was at night when temperatures are cooler and it’s a bit humid and not much wind didn’t really dry out. Made sure to spray it immediately while preparing the pot…
indeed I doubled on the wires used to tie down as its sad to lose a tree to a simple fall. With trees being this big and at the root growth rate u mentioned how long would it take for it to have a root base to support itself in a pot a year after repot as I believe toedown cables will eventually rust in 2-3 years time…
Also after how many years would it be possible to carve the wood and not risk killing the delicate root base ?
Thanks

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
With trees being this big and at the root growth rate u mentioned how long would it take for it to have a root base to support itself in a pot a year after repot as I believe toedown cables will eventually rust in 2-3 years time…
Also after how many years would it be possible to carve the wood and not risk killing the delicate root base ?
I've already mentioned that different olives behave differently and that's under identical conditions. Add factors of different climate and conditions at your place and it's really impossible to predict how long anything will take.
Not sure why everyone wants a timeline for bonsai. I always watch the plants and work with whatever times they give me. Tie downs can be replaced if they rust. Check each year to see if the trunks are still wobbly in the pots. If the trunk still moves easily tie it in again. You'll probably repot in 2 years to check what's happening. Then you can do a visual check to see how much root has grown.
I would hope that there will be plenty of roots in 2 years but some take longer and others grow faster and will be OK after a year. Same answer for carving.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Any updates on this beast?
Tree made it through the initial repot abd the fall. It's growing leaves and branches, not as aggressive as I want but not bad.
Have the following on the list of things to do for it.
Carve the straight cuts on the base abd the trunk, wire it to set the structure once I have an idea on how to go with this tree.
I'm guessing a true to form won't do the trunk and the movement any favours so tempted to go toelwards a bonsai shape as in below. The thickest brqnch going up from the trunk is unfortunately too straight for the tree shape so also jot sure if I should grow another top branch for apex with more motion or split the existing one and try to put motion in it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231210_142922_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231210_142922_Gallery.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20231210_142946_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231210_142946_Gallery.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20231210_142936_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231210_142936_Gallery.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20231210_142922_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231210_142922_Gallery.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20231210_140849_Photos~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20231210_140849_Photos~2.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20231210_140849_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20231210_140849_Photos.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20231210_142936_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231210_142936_Gallery.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 15

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Glad to see it is doing well. I like your styling idea as well. It will take a little time to get there but it will be worth the effort!

Top Bottom