Large Paperbark concerns ...

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This year my Paperbark Maple has finally backbudded! My plan is to keep the upper canopy pruned back, partly to allow more energy to thicken the new lower buds (hopefully),but also to see if the branches will ramify better through constant cut backs (hedging, if you will). If I can develop the lower buds into viable branches I want to eventually cut back the trunk to well below the Y.

However, I would like to do whatever it takes to keep the internodes shorter on the new buds right from the start, so if anyone has advice on that, please share!

0DBF6F3C-6B77-419B-8303-D11115F7841A.jpeg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This year my Paperbark Maple has finally backbudded! My plan is to keep the upper canopy pruned back, partly to allow more energy to thicken the new lower buds (hopefully),but also to see if the branches will ramify better through constant cut backs (hedging, if you will). If I can develop the lower buds into viable branches I want to eventually cut back the trunk to well below the Y.

However, I would like to do whatever it takes to keep the internodes shorter on the new buds right from the start, so if anyone has advice on that, please share!

View attachment 445928
Nice beginning, but you need to make a choice on which of those slingshot branches to keep...One needs to go. (If this were mine, I'd get rid of both, chopping that top leader in half to compact the final image.

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice beginning, but you need to make a choice on which of those slingshot branches to keep...One needs to go. (If this were mine, I'd get rid of both, chopping that top leader in half to compact the final image.
I agree, but up until now, with the issues this tree has presented, I’ve been afraid to do
any major cutting back. There has been zero new buds until this year, which is why I am thrilled to have them so low on the trunk. I would like to cut the entire slingshot off!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree, but up until now, with the issues this tree has presented, I’ve been afraid to do
any major cutting back. There has been zero new buds until this year, which is why I am thrilled to have them so low on the trunk. I would like to cut the entire slingshot off!
I'd bet the reason you're not getting lower buds is because of that extension...It has become dominant and is drawing most of the resources of the tree. Cut it off and those resources will be distributed on the remaining...Might be worth considering next spring

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Agree with Rock...Personally, I would chop where the main large trunk meets the present leader. I just don't like a nice trunk meeting a much smaller branch and calling it natural. Sorry!

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd bet the reason you're not getting lower buds is because of that extension...It has become dominant and is drawing most of the resources of the tree. Cut it off and those resources will be distributed on the remaining...Might be worth considering next spring
I think I will. By then the lower buds will be more established. Would you do that chop right before bud break or a little earlier (maybe late winter?)?
Zone 8 with mild winters, cool rainy springs.

I want to chop at the red line - I don’t like that straight section right above. But who knows if it will bud at the chop line …50B0E5E6-C132-4DC0-A2E4-0621A859E009.jpeg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I will. By then the lower buds will be more established. Would you do that chop right before bud break or a little earlier (maybe late winter?)?
Zone 8 with mild winters, cool rainy springs.

I want to chop at the red line - I don’t like that straight section right above. But who knows if it will bud at the chop line …View attachment 445954
I'd chop late winter, about three inches above where your red line is. That will probably give you multiple choices for a new apex shoot to pop. Chop at the line and you reduce those options.

I really wouldn't worry about the vigor of the existing branching. I predict you will be surprised with a lot more new more vigorous shoots popping on the lower trunk.

Top Bottom