Large Pyracantha Options

Grimberian

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi folks :)
Hope everyone is enjoying the beautiful autumn colours!
I'm after a bit of advice again - this time regarding a Pyracantha that we have taken from a relative who didn't want the 'bl**dy spikey thing' in their garden any more.
It has been in a pot for ages, I'm not sure what the roots are like yet, but it seemed healthy enough when all the berries were out.
I am thinking about options to use it as bonsai material - including air layering a few different branches off higher up to get additional plants, or just chopping the whole thing down and having a large multi trunk base.
I have a bit of 'analysis paralysis' so looking to see what others might think?
Thanks again,
PaulIMG_2911.JPEG IMG_2915.JPEG

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it were mine I would first take a bunch of cuttings. I don't see much up high that would stimulate me to bother with air layering, unless of course you just want to practice air layering. Pyracantha will layer easily - good choice for first attempts. Then I would cut back to near the base and start over. Be sure to wire movement into new growth while it is green and supple. Pyra's will grow rail straight if left alone, and lignified trunks will break easily when bent.

Good luck and have fun!

aziz31

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi everybody
Yesterday I bought this pyracantha tree from nursery. As the nursery guy said, this tree owner is an old lady who is not able to take care of it anymore so she is selling it. I bought it and take it home. At first, I test the soil it was so compacted, and the tree seems weak looking at leaves and tiny fruits. Also, the pot size with respect to the tree looks small. The tree trunk base diameter is 4 cm and the height is 170 cm. Here where I live right now the weather is mild (17 c-11c).I Plan to airlyer the tree starting from the top of the tree next spring. I have a question is it ok to just change the pot to a bigger one and a good quality soil without any root disturbance at this time of year. Please help me with this question. Thanks AzizWhatsApp Image 2021-11-23 at 10.30.19 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-11-23 at 10.30.19 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-11-23 at 10.30.19 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-11-23 at 10.30.19 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-11-23 at 10.30.19 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-11-23 at 10.30.19 AM.jpeg

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi everybody

Give us a general indication of your location please. You'll get better advice. I'm in coastal California and I've already started repotting my pyracanthas. I don't get freezes. These things grow (more slowly) all winter for me. I'd plan on getting it repotted into good soil as soon as you can, but if you live in a cold climate that should wait until spring. When you do repot, improve the roots. Even repotting in early spring, pyra's will throw new roots fast. They'll be ready for airlayers by late spring after a repot. If you're air layering, (obviously) don't prune when you repot.

aziz31

Seedling
Reaction score
Give us a general indication of your location please. You'll get better advice. I'm in coastal California and I've already started repotting my pyracanthas. I don't get freezes. These things grow (more slowly) all winter for me. I'd plan on getting it repotted into good soil as soon as you can, but if you live in a cold climate that should wait until spring. When you do repot, improve the roots. Even repotting in early spring, pyra's will throw new roots fast. They'll be ready for airlayers by late spring after a repot. If you're air layering, (obviously) don't prune when you repot.
Hi
I live in the north part of IRAN coastal area of Caspian sea, in climate zone category is mild and humid .

aziz31

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi
I live in the north part of IRAN coastal area of Caspian sea, in climate zone category is mild and humid .
It happened that weather temp reaches to even less than the freezing point like -5c

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It happened that weather temp reaches to even less than the freezing point like -5c

Sounds like you're in a similar climate to mine. I would not hesitate to repot pyra's with root work at this point.

WWB-Walter

Seedling
Reaction score
Nice to see discussion of Pyracanthas -- bonsai or in ground.
Pruned 'in-ground' ones over the years to create very strong branches to stay upright in heavy snow of coastal BC Canada. These shrubs provide feeding berries for multitudes of birds - even squirrels 'sit in the shrub' to feed.
Haven't bothered with 'in pot' bonsais of this shrub - instead many oak, mountain ash, maple, hemlock, etc etc

Attachments

• Pyracantha-strong-Branches-thru-Pruning.jpg
    Pyracantha-strong-Branches-thru-Pruning.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Northern-Flicker-feeding-Pyracanthia-2-20210914.jpg
    Northern-Flicker-feeding-Pyracanthia-2-20210914.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Two-Robins-feeding-in-Pyracanthia-2_sm.jpg
    Two-Robins-feeding-in-Pyracanthia-2_sm.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Damaged-Oak-plus-Two-Fall_20211117.jpg
    Damaged-Oak-plus-Two-Fall_20211117.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 30

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Best option is give to ignorant person who is masochist, save bloody painfulness🤬from happening to self☺️

Top Bottom